Irish moss in a witbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWN

Reaction score
Opinions on Irish moss in a witbier? I would think that it would affect the cloudiness of the beer or am I wrong? I also think it would help some unwanted stuff settle out too. I'm about thirty minutes into my boil so any help would be appreciated.

Just me, I never use any clearing agents. I wouldnt do it, not in a Witbier. Just my oppinion, its your beer.

I looked in my notes from my last wit and I used it. I don't brew many witbiers so that is the only one I have any notes on. I remember it bring pretty good so I see how it turns out.

A wit is supposed to be a little cloudy anyways, so why waste the clearing agent

I think it depends on how cloudy you want the wit. If you use fining agents it will most likely still have some haze from the yeast and wheat. If you want it nice and cloudy, skip the whirlfloc.

It won't really matter much. The amount of wheat in there will leave it cloudy no matter if you use a clearing agent or not.

I'd leave it myself and not bother wasting it.

I use Irish moss in almost all of my brews. If it effects the flavor it is insignificant. just use a teaspoon and you will be good.

Back