NFL Contemplating Rule Changes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orpheus

Reaction score
After the last two games these rules were not implemented...But it was close...

Subject: New England Patriots rule changes

In order to address the complaints and hurt feelings of the rest of the NFL, the commissioner has adopted 10 new "Special Rules" for all New England Patriots games. They take effect immediately, and are as follows:

Special Rules for the Patriots

1) In the course of an NFL game, if the Patriots go up by more than 31 points, they are not allowed to play offense until the opposing team draws to within one score. (Pats will kick-off after an opposing team's touchdown or FG).

Once the team is within one score, the Pats offense may play, but Tom Brady may not, unless the Pats play with 8 players (including Tom), or the Pats play with 9 players, but 1 player for the Patriots is chosen by the opposing team fro m the stands. No Patriot linebacker is allowed to play offense, unless that LB is inserted at quarterback. However, Mike Vrabel cannot be quarterback.

2) If an opposing player states "It's like were playing 7-on-5s" (7 offense, 5 defense during practice), such as indicated by Justin Smith, DE, Cincinnati Bengals 10/1/07, the Patriots must take a time out and serve ice cold lemonade or hot tea (weather dependent) to the opposing team. Scones are optional.

3) Once the 31 point rule is in effect, the Patriots may challenge any play, but the opposing team gets veto power over the referee.

4) Once the Pats offense is allowed back onto the field (7 pts), for any forward pass the Pats QB must point to the receiver and call out his number BEFORE passing. If Tom Brady is quarterbacking at the time, he must do that, plus turn the opposing team's water cooler into wine BEFORE passing.

5) Belichick must diagram any Patriots play for the opposing defense and ensu re the y understand exactly how to disrupt the play. This must be done within the play clock. If this process is not complete prior to the play clock expiring, the Patriots will be assessed a delay of game and double unsportsmanlike conduct penalties.

6) Randy Moss must play with 10lb ankle weights on each ankle. An additional pound will be added for each TD this season.

7) Wes Welker is not allowed to have "that crazy look" in his eyes or a 10 yd, "crazy eyes" penalty will be assessed.

Cool Tom Brady must immediately stop dating supermodels as he will not be allowed to date anyone that is more attractive than the least attractive significant other of an opposing team member (including coaches). He also must start doing commercials for every product imaginable, especially ones where he chants "cut that meat!" or refers to himself "as a 6'5" quarterback with a laser-rocket arm"

9) Bill Belichick is not allowed to be within 100 yds of any infant, for fear That his evil super genius powers would assimilate such a defenseless creature into the Patriots System. We have already seen this effect on an inordinate amount of chipmunks, squirrels, and 'possum that commit suicide while crossing Rte 1 to reach Gillette Stadium.

10) Patriots must respect all opposing players feelings and apologize for every first down. Touchdowns must be followed by a written apology and a fruit basket presented with a hug.

Rule 12) The pats are allowed to just cheat all the time, and if they get caught, they just get fined a few dollars.

In a very unlikely scenario for an eagles fan, I can see myself cheering Dallas in the superbowl. Nothing would be better than the pats getting all the way unbeaten then getting hammered in the big one.

cd2448 said:
Rule 12) The pats are allowed to just cheat all the time, and if they get caught, they just get fined a few dollars.

In a very unlikely scenario for an eagles fan, I can see myself cheering Dallas in the superbowl. Nothing would be better than the pats getting all the way unbeaten then getting hammered in the big one.

Nuh-uh. Cheer for the Packers. It'll be a repeat of '97.:ban:

of course i'll be cheering for whoever is playing dallas, all the way... but if they get through to face those patriots, i'll be left with no choice :confused:

I hate the PATS... and I hate the PACK.... I gotta go with the pack if it came down to it... (Shhhhh! don't tell anyone here in Viking land that I'd side with the Pack) New England just sucks.

cd2448 said:

Since when is a first round draft pick "a few dollars"?

And as for paying off the refs, what short memories we all have. Remember just 1 week earlier when the refs tried in vain to hand the game to the Eagles? And how about the offense pass interference that WASN'T called on the last play of the game? Even the pundits who can't wait to see that Pats lose don't think the refs got it wrong on Monday night. (Speaking of which, could Kornhole have wanted the Pats to lose anymore? It was all he talked about from the opening kick).

TheJadedDog said:

And as for paying off the refs, what short memories we all have. Remember just 1 week earlier when the refs tried in vain to hand the game to the Eagles? And how about the offense pass interference that WASN'T called on the last play of the game? Even the pundits who can't wait to see that Pats lose don't think the refs got it wrong on Monday night. (Speaking of which, could Kornhole have wanted the Pats to lose anymore? It was all he talked about from the opening kick).

Since they actually had two picks this coming draft. They still get a first rounder.

The refs continually give Randy Moss the no call when it comes to offensive interference. At least they had the guts to call it once in the Eagles game. Also, what about the completely blown call on the block in the back late in the Ravens game? I can't remember now who did the running, but the one guy somewhat in position to stop the play gets leveled from behind with no call.

The officiating this year is horrendus. In watching the games, they continually make bad and flakey calls, refuse to overturn bad calls despite visual evidence, and then can't make the right call when the game is on the line. :mad:

MikeInCtown said:
The officiating this year is horrendus. In watching the games, they continually make bad and flakey calls, refuse to overturn bad calls despite visual evidence, and then can't make the right call when the game is on the line. :mad:

I absolutely agree that the officiating has been bad across the board this year. I was just pointing out that I do not believe the refs handed the game to the Pats; I think it was the Raven's coach who called for a time out. After that stop on 4th and 1 got wiped out by the time out the Raven's D become too emotional and just pressed too hard.

the pats cheat -

their super bowls were won b/c they cheated - especially the one against the eagles

who really thinks they didn't make copies of all the videos they gave up to the league? not me

the football gods will exact a bitter and justified punishment on them - hopefully in the form of an early exit from the playoffs at the hands of Manning or Rothlesberger

Moss is already starting to play like the chump he truly is - Stall will pull a hammy pretty soon - and the linebackers are starting to look old

Pittsburgh will beat them so bad this week that the officials won't be able to cheat enough to take the game away. Everytime there is a bull**** call that goes against Pittsburgh (and there will be many) They will suck it up and make up for it on the next play. Why? Because this is what great teams do. They win inspite of the officials, not because of them.

mummasan said:
the pats cheat -

their super bowls were won b/c they cheated - especially the one against the eagles

who really thinks they didn't make copies of all the videos they gave up to the league? not me

the football gods will exact a bitter and justified punishment on them - hopefully in the form of an early exit from the playoffs at the hands of Manning or Rothlesberger

Moss is already starting to play like the chump he truly is - Stall will pull a hammy pretty soon - and the linebackers are starting to look old

Give me a break....:rolleyes:

Bernie Brewer said:
Nuh-uh. Cheer for the Packers. It'll be a repeat of '97.:ban:

The Packers would have zero shot at beating the Pats in the Superbowl. Dallas on the other hand would give them a game..The Pats would still win..

joshpooh said:
Pittsburgh will beat them so bad this week that the officials won't be able to cheat enough to take the game away. Everytime there is a bull**** call that goes against Pittsburgh (and there will be many) They will suck it up and make up for it on the next play. Why? Because this is what great teams do. They win inspite of the officials, not because of them.

They are a good team, not great. Great teams don't lose against the Cardinals and the Jets and barely get by the Horrible Dolphins..

I guess I had to eat some crow, but if you watched the game today the score was not indicative of what happened on the field. I'm looking forward to the playoffs now and I think New England will get beat. If New England plays Dallas in the Super Bowl though I will be brewing while everyone else watches b/c I hate them both.

I just gotta say folks.... I know it looks like the Vikes are on the march... but DON'T Worry... they will make it almost ALL the way to the GOAL and quickly take a KNEE!

TheJadedDog said:

Considering that the other 1st round pick that they have is going to be a top 5 pick (right now it would be the #2 pick overall - from SF), that fine of a first rounder has almost zero value to a team like the Patriots. It's not even a slap on the wrist.

:off: You know the single person that impresses me the most in the Patriots organization? It's not Brady, Moss or any of the players. It's not Belichik or any of the coaches. It's not the Kraft family - it's Scott Pioli. He's a master of working the draft and signing quality FA's at great value contracts.

They've had 2 first round picks going into the draft for like 3 years straight now. Every year he finds a team willing to trade up and give up a 1st in the next year's draft and he'll do it again this year. If that pick ends up being a #2 pick I can almost guarantee that the Pats will not use it. They don't need to, they're 13-0 for crying out loud. They might even be able to trade down twice and pickup another 1st for '09 and an additional 2nd or 3rd in next year's draft.

It's not our fault that San Fran traded us their first round pick this year; that's absolutely irrelevant to whether the punishment was fair. In effect, you're arguing that our punishment should be more severe because Pioli made a great trade; how's that fair? Hell, we only have that pick because we didn't use our first rounder last year.

Flyin' Lion said:
Ya still gotta watch the Super Bowl for the commercials, though. :mug:

Yeah you could be the first person to TIVO something, and be fast-forwarding through the show to get to the commercials.

The patriots are a class act, there's no doubt about it. Makes you wonder why they were bothering to videotape the Jets, really!

the_bird said:
It's not our fault that San Fran traded us their first round pick this year; that's absolutely irrelevant to whether the punishment was fair. In effect, you're arguing that our punishment should be more severe because Pioli made a great trade; how's that fair? Hell, we only have that pick because we didn't use our first rounder last year.

No, actually, I'm not. You are correct that the pick that they obtained from SF has no bearing on the punishment that they received. Most people, myself included, thought that SF would be a very good team this year after what they showed last season.

At the time the punishment came down I believed then, and still believe, that it was a joke. It doesn't matter who did it. It could have been Belichik or it could have been the head coach of my team Rod Marinelli. The Coach should have been suspended, the coach should have been fined, the team should have been fined, and they should have lost the draft pick (imo).

The Pats getting docked a 1st round pick was a joke then and it's even more of a joke now because the way that they're playing this year it turns out that they cheated and basically received no punishment. Again, that's just my opinion, but in the grand scale of things, losing the 32nd pick in the first round means nothing to this team.

Sheesh... I pay the Pats organization a huge compliment and the GNETBNTC members still find something to complain about. :D

The only thing that didn't happen that you wanted to happen was Belichick getting suspended (which I wouldn't have argued with). HALF MILLION DOLLARS!

the_bird said:
The only thing that didn't happen that you wanted to happen was Belichick getting suspended (which I wouldn't have argued with). HALF MILLION DOLLARS!

Did the team get fined as well? I know that Belichik did, but I don't recall the team having to pay a fine.

Back