fermenting stopped after two days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uspsdriver

Reaction score
i started a ipa sat. mouring the og was 1.051 it stopped today no action in the air lock so i took a reading and it is at 1.021 i used wyeast 1010 do i have a problem ? also i have kept the temp at 65

Agreed, bubbling only means no co2 is passing through the airlock. At 1.021 it is probably not finished. I would also wait for a couple more weeks then bottle.

The yeast continue working after active fermentation is done by finishing the conversion of sugars to alcohol and cleaning up off flavors created early in the fermentation process.

thanks everybody this was my tenth batch and never had this to happen to me but in the past i have used dry yeast.

Fermentation hasn't stopped, BUBBLING has...it's NOT the same thing. An airlock is a vent for EXCESS co2, it's not a fermentation gauge. You had two days of active fermentation, meaning lots of EXCESS co2 was being produced. But it's wound down now...that doesn't mean it's stopped...it's just slowing down as less sugar is still there to be eaten by the yeast. And as there is less sugar to be eaten, then the yeast are farting less....therefore there's no excess gass to need to be released. Doesn't mean they're not finished..

Im going to say - 3 weeks kids. Patience- 3 weeks. Bottle, condition, and be happy.

I agree to all of the above but would add the following:

Was this an extract recipe? A lot of extracts contain a myriad of less fermentable sugars and can create a less fermentable wort. This means that it may not go lower.

Second, you stated previously you use dry yeast, does that mean you used liquid this time? If so did you make a starter? If not you probably under pitched and had poor yeast health and at what temp did you pitch? These issues may also create attenuation problems in the fermentation process.

uspsdriver said:
this was my first all grain i used a wyeast 1010 smack pack and pitched at 73f

Then it needs more time but a a lot more info is needed now like mash temp and recipe as they will all play into where you should expect your FG to be and what it actually will be:)

this was a AG amarillo IPA 9.00 lbs. two row 0.75 wheat malt .075 flaked soft white wheat. 3.00 oz amarillo gold. wyeast 1010 mashed in at 152 batch sparged at 170 f pitched yeast at73f fermented at 65f

Back