Cloister Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djbradle

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
WLP575
Yeast Starter
2 L
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
20 srm
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 days at 64 degrees, ramp it up to 76 over the next 3 weeks
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 weeks at 54-56
Tasting Notes
Wonderful dark fruits from this yeast! My new favorite, 5 week bottle test.
Belgian Strong Dark Ale

malt & fermentables
% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L
49% 6 6 Briess Munich Liquid Extract ~ (Late addition 15 min.)
23% 3 0 Briess Sparkling Amber DME ~ (Early addition 60 min.)
8% 1 0 Candi Syrup D-45 ~ (15 min.)
8% 1 0 Candi Syrup D-90 ~ (15 min.
4% 0 8 Belgian Aromatic ~ (Steeping grains 45 min. at 155 degrees)
4% 0 8 Wheat, Torrified ~
4% 0 8 Belgian Special B ~
0% 0 ½ Carafa Special II ~

Hops

Boil 60 Min. .5 oz. Stryian Goldings pellets
30 Min. .5 oz Hallertau pellets
15 Min. 1 Whirflock tablet
1 min. .5 oz Hallertau pellets

2L yeast starter foamed outta control. Watch this one folks as I believe it's the Westmalle strain included that does it. Banana smells and very vigorous fermentation after 10 hours upon the first 3 days in basment temps of 56-58 degrees.

Moved to 70 degrees after the three days and ramped it up on the fermometer after day 4 until it reached 76 degrees for the next 3 weeks. Krausen fell after 1 week. Moved to secondary for 2 weeks at 54-56 degrees. FG 1.018 for 9.5% abv.

Bottled with 5 oz. of dextrose with some yeast siphoned from the yeast cake and placed in 70 degrees.

1 week check in the bottle was flat but very smooth, no harshness to speak of, not one fusel. 5 week check was carbed and very dark fruits shine forth. Little to no head retention but stayed slightly carbed even at the end of the glass. This taste is awesome. I will have to visit this WLP575 again for sure. Update with more pictures soon.

2l starter feisty

image-2152035658.jpg

Oh yummy! Stuff gets better and better. My sense of smell is dull right now but the taste is all dark fruits and a slight fresh earthy hop. No fusels but a slight alcohol bite which I like. Good prickly carbonation. No lacing to speak of. Don't know why. Head stays well into the last third of the glass. This is 3 months from brew date.

image-3526679720.jpg

image-2468296202.jpg

I'm down to just a few bottles left but if I brewed this again I would go for a complete Pilsner base malt instead of any amber or munich (AG of course) and if it was extract I would just sub the amber and munich dme for just pilsner dme. It is a little cloying because of the munich and amber only in the base malt department.

Back