First Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsimo33

Reaction score
So I am brand new to this and I brewed my first batch on Monday night. It was a BB Weizenbier. I have been checking airlock on my primary for the last couple of days and no activity. I was a little concerned last night so I popped the lid and there was a thick layer of krausen and it smelled like beer. This has to be a good sign right, even though I have seen no activity in the airlock?

That's the best sign, forget the airlock. Try to leave it alone now, so it can do it's job and make great beer. Brew another batch in the meantime.:tank:

Thanks for the reply. I figured it was fine and i will leave it for a while. Patience is not my strong suit but I know it will be worth it in the end.

Wish I could brew another batch but since I am new to this, I don't have the setup to brew more then one batch at a time. Oh well.

It will help you greatly from worrying as you continue this wonderful hobby of brewing beer, if you do not regard the airlock as the end all, be all of fermentation activity. If you have krausen, you are making beer. Sounds like you are using a bucket- A carboy would allow you to see whats going on, i.e that layer of krausen and ease your mind. Congrats on the first beer, you are doing just fine!

Your lid is not sealing completely allowing the CO2 to escape vs. the air lock. I prefer a carboy so I can see what's happening, but a bucket is fine.

Make sure the lid is pressed on all the way and check that the airlock is on the o-ring firmly.

I think I have lid on tight but the rubber grommet that holds the airlock feels like it may be a little loose. Guessing that is where my problem is. Anyhow I feel better that it sounds like it is working.

One last question. I have read on here that some people leave in primary for a week, some leave 2 weeks or longer. I don't have a secondary so what is your guys' opinion on how long to leave in primary? The recipe says that it should be done in 4-6 days. What is the harm in leaving it in the primary longer than 1-2 weeks?

Leave it for no less than 2 weeks and preferably 3 or more. Also put star san diluted into a spray bottle and liberally spray the grommet area to see bubbles where the air escapes. The sanitizer may even help seal the gap.

I think I have lid on tight but the rubber grommet that holds the airlock feels like it may be a little loose. Guessing that is where my problem is. Anyhow I feel better that it sounds like it is working.

One last question. I have read on here that some people leave in primary for a week, some leave 2 weeks or longer. I don't have a secondary so what is your guys' opinion on how long to leave in primary? The recipe says that it should be done in 4-6 days. What is the harm in leaving it in the primary longer than 1-2 weeks?

Let the war begin....

Seriously though, there are two very differing sides on this one. There's no real harm in leaving it in primary for a few weeks, but there may or may not be any real benefits either. The instructions that came with your kit are probably wrong, thats one constant. 4-6 days is too short as a general rule.

Kit instructions rush the process so you'll buy more kits. Wait at least 2 weeks, I prefer 3 - 4.:mug:

I leave mine for 3-4 weeks, mostly 4wks. It does not hurt the beer to leave it in a primary only bucket, but you will need another bucket for bottling in three weeks, so you may as well buy two more buckets. That way you have two fermenting and one for bottling. You still have six weeks of worry. Welcome to brewing and enjoy!:D

After 2 weeks, take a hydrometer sample. TASTE the sample after you get the reading. If you get the same hydrometer sample 3 days in a row, it is finished fermenting. If the sample tastes good, too, it is ready to bottle. If is tastes too fruity or yeasty, then leave it in there a while longer. It will get clearer as the yeast and proteins settle out.

Oh, and +1 on getting more buckets.

Back