FG came out seriously way to low!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZamaMan

Reaction score
Hey guys I juet brewed what was supposed to be a dog fish head 90 min ipa which byo mag said OG was 1.088 but mine turned out to be 1.061. It was my first BIAB all grain so efficiency may have been way to low or what. My 2 row was somethijg like 18 lbs or something. Mash temp was 149 but turned out to be all over the board since I was tryibg to learn to keep even temp with so much more water since I couldn't move the whole thing into the oven on low to keep perfect temp. It git up to 159 before I could bring it dowbwasnt there for tons of time.
Should I try to get the gravity up by adding extract or leave it be? Its insanely hoppy which without the sweatness may not be balanced.
Also there is tons of hops on the bottom even after straining it as best I could. Any tips for that?

Do you mean that was your OG? That's insanely high for a FG. And if that is your final gravity it would be very sweet, not "not sweet."

First off what was the recipe???? I know for a fact that DFH 90 Ale does not contain 18lbs of 2-row and something.....a little more info might be decisive into helping you out.

Hey guys I juet brewed what was supposed to be a dog fish head 90 min ipa which byo may said FG was 1.088 but mine turned out to be 1.061. It was my first BIAB all grain so efficiency may have been way to low or what. My 2 row was somethijg like 18 lbs or something. Mash temp was 149 but turned out to be all over the board since I was tryibg to learn to keep even temp with so much more water since I couldn't move the whole thing into the oven on low to keep perfect temp. It git up to 159 before I could bring it dowbwasnt there for tons of time.
Should I try to get the gravity up by adding extract or leave it be? Its insanely hoppy which without the sweatness may not be balanced.
Also there is tons of hops on the bottom even after straining it as best I could. Any tips for that?

wtf you tryin to say? lol. to many homebrews while brewing? it happens.

The DFH 90min imperial IPA does have an English 2-row backbone. But not much,just enough for balance to my tatebuds. If that 1.061 was your OG,& you did it on the AG,Then LME or DME on the slide. And 159F should be fine. My wife steeped in a bag at 160F,& it worked out good.
I've read that 150-165F is a good range. But English light DME or LME,like Munton's,that should get the OG up without adding too much to that backbone. Not to mention,being closer to theirs.? I can def taste the malt in the original,but it's the kind that hits you real quick at the front,then comes around again on the back. It'd be great if you can duplicate that.:mug:

Sorry I type bad on my phone. Here's bypass receipe
90-Minute IPA clone (Dogfish Head) from BYO
(5 gallons/19L, all-grain)
OG = 1.088 FG = 1.021
IBU = 90 SRM = 13 ABV - 8.7%

Ingredients
16.5 lbs. Pilsner malt
1.66 lbs. amber malt (35 *L)
16 AAU Amarillo hops (90-0 mins)
(2.0 oz. of 8% alpha acids)
8.0 AAu Simcoe hops (90-0 mins)
(0.62 oz. of 13% alpha acids)
8.0 AAU Warrior hops (90-0 mins)
(0.53 oz. of 15% alpha acids)
1 oz. Amarillo hops (dry hops)
0.5 oz. Simcoe hops (dry hops)
0.5 oz. Warrior hops (dry hops)
1 tsp. Iriish moss (15 mins)
Wyeast 1099 (Whitbread Ale) yeast
.75 cups corn sugar (for priming)

Step by Step
Mash in at 122 *F (50 *C), then raise the temp. to 149 *F (65 *C) until conversion is complete. Mash out to 170 *F (77 *C). Boil the wort for 105 minutes. Starting with 90 minutes left in the boil, begin slowly and evenly adding hops to the kettle. (This works out to a little over .25 oz. of hops every 7.5 minutes.) Start fermentation at 71 *F (22 *C) and let raise to 74 *F (23 *C). Dry hop in secondary at 71 *F for 3-5 days, then cool to 32 *F (0 *C).

Extract Option:
Replace Pilsner malt with 8.0 lbs. dried malt extract and 1.75 lbs. of Pilsner Malt. Steep crushed grains in 1.1 gallons (4 L) of water at 150 *F (66 *C) for 45 minutes. Follow the remaining instuctions in the all-grain recipe.

Since there was some confusion about malt profile i used scotlands recipe from here which uses 2 row like the dfh brewer said they use. And yes I mebt OG btw. How can 18lb of malt come out to only that og. Was mashibg for 90 min. I did have to spliy my grain up between two bags which may have reduced water flow since they were snug.

So add some dme? Bad thing is im about to leave out of town and won't be back for 2 days. Will monday be too late to add dme?

i wouldnt sweat it unless you are REALLY set on the 8.7 abv. you'll have an ipa, but it'll be a little less boozy than you intended. 18 lbs is a lot of grist to mash in a bag, even split between two bags.

from a food science perspective it sounds liek you yeast isnt doing what it is supposed to do. this could be because the yeast was not stored or handled properly (either by you or the seller). i would let it sit longer keep and eye on the airock for bubbles (agitate it by genitally shaking it to produce bubbles in the airlock) . if fermentation has ceased i would recommend re pitching the yeast. also the water you used could be contaminated, this is most likely from left over cleaning agent form when you cleaned you equipment last. if this is the case then the batch will stay the way it currently is.

yes adding DME 2-3 days later is fine if you really want to fix the OG. did you follow the mashing procedure with the recipe or did you just try to do a single infusion @149F? also, what was mash ratio (qt/lb), and did you sparge? as is, your OG sounds like you mashed normally, but didnt sparge. also sounds like you had i too compact, which would hurt the efficiency a lot. you need the grain to be loose, otherwise it cant wet out properly

Mashed with 7.5 gallons no sparge. I was worried about water flow and I think that was the problem since the bags were not loose. I prob need a bag big enough for the whole pot next time. I mashed for 90 min.

I'm not wworried about the abv that much but more the maltiness. Its a super hoppy beer..especially since I accidentally added another .5 oz of a 14% AA hop which will bring the bitterness up even more. Sample tasted like a hop bomb. so i think will add some extract when i get home tomorrow.

How much do i need to raisr 5 gallons from 1.061-1.088

Mashed with 7.5 gallons no sparge. I was worried about water flow and I think that was the problem since the bags were not loose. I prob need a bag big enough for the whole pot next time. I mashed for 90 min.

I'm not wworried about the abv that much but more the maltiness. Its a super hoppy beer..especially since I accidentally added another .5 oz of a 14% AA hop which will bring the bitterness up even more. Sample tasted like a hop bomb. so i think will add some extract when i get home tomorrow.

How much do i need to raisr 5 gallons from 1.061-1.088

yup 3lbs would do it

ya, next time make sure the grains have a little more room in there and you'll be ok

Back