How much to fill up the keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAAAA

Reaction score
So I just filled my first keg. I have a ball lock corny keg and didn't know how much I could fill it. I did it right to the line in the inside where the top rubber starts. Is that the correct level or should I have filled it higher?

Shouldn't matter AFAIK.... As long as you don't fill it all the way up to the gas inlet, any level is good..

I usually brew for 5.5G target amount for each corny keg...

I was reading that you don't want to fill it up too much because you need room for the c02.

As the previous responder mentioned, the only thing you want to do is make sure the gas in tube is not submerged in the beer. As long as that is the case, there is more than enough room for the CO2.

It would still work if you submerged the gas in tube, however, you run the risk of getting beer into the gas line which is not a good thing.

Ok. Guess next time I will fill it up a little more.

The only hard part of kegging is waiting till it's through carbing/conditioning to drink it... I have trouble with patience.. That's why I'm not a doctor...

Just make sure it's sanitized... The trouble areas usually arise with pressure settings and line length to avoid foam.... I run at 14 PSI with 10' of beer line, and pour perfect beers.. Before I lengthened the line, I had all kinds of issues... I would try lowering the pressure, and that just resulted in foamy flat beer...

Is there a specific number to use for serving psi? I went ahead and bought 10 ft line when I initially bought the kegs.

Is there a specific number to use for serving psi? I went ahead and bought 10 ft line when I initially bought the kegs.

it depends on your serving line length. longer = more restriction = less foam. longer also = greater psi tolerance. I have 6' lines and serve with no problems at 10-12psi.

It will carb faster if filled less. You can rejoice in that!

It shouldn't matter really...

The CO2 is absorbed into the beer through the exposed surface area at a given rate for a given temperature and pressure. In other words, the surface area is the same, and the temperature and pressure are the same. So the beer will absorb the CO2 at the same rate regardless of level.

Less beer will carb faster because there's less beer to carbonate, though... :drunk:

Not only line length but also inner diameter. Smaller ID provides more of a pressure drop. There's charts around somewhere that I used when I put mine together. I think I have 6' of 3/16" beer line and serve at 11 PSI.

Shouldn't matter AFAIK.... As long as you don't fill it all the way up to the gas inlet, any level is good..

I usually brew for 5.5G target amount for each corny keg...
Aside from potentially getting beer backed up the gas line, is there any other negative to having the beer up past the gas inlet diptube?

I racked my IPA over to a corny last night, and thought I was just below the gas diptube, but then when I put it on the CO2, I heard bubbling.

Will it still carb as effectively?

Aside from potentially getting beer backed up the gas line, is there any other negative to having the beer up past the gas inlet diptube?

I racked my IPA over to a corny last night, and thought I was just below the gas diptube, but then when I put it on the CO2, I heard bubbling.

Will it still carb as effectively?

Well, beer backing up into the regulator is a big deal. But that's the only real problem I can think of.

I usually bottle 4 pints of each batch for traveling with. This leaves 4½ gallons in each keg. I purge 4 times and all is well.

I keep a few Coopers carb drops on hand just for this, along with a few swing tops. Give them a good shake with some star-san, and all is good. I just fill to about an inch below the gas line, and bottle the rest.

I keep a few Coopers carb drops on hand just for this, along with a few swing tops. Give them a good shake with some star-san, and all is good. I just fill to about an inch below the gas line, and bottle the rest.

Good use of carb drops! I originally thought they were just for beginners.
I hadn't thought about this particular application.

Back