Wild yeast wash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zackmon21

Reaction score
So I had some extra wort left and read about wild yeast so I left out open for 10 days til it started bubbling than added to a jar with sugar and dme n it fermented any tips on washing and what kind of brew I should experiment on for the wild yeast the first time?

I'm betting you'd net better results in the Lambic & Wild Brewing Sub-Forum. I'm just sayin! :mug:

From my experience, I simply use it like any other yeast. Just make a large starter, decant, and pitch. You can wash it just like any other yeast. It will just be a mixture of several yeasts, bacteria, etc. and not just "yeast" in the mix. Another note, it will most likely change over time. I've got one on its 3rd or 4th generation and it is much different than it was to start with...

So far as what sort of beer to try it out in, I'd suggest a beer with as little character as possible. Possibly Pilsner / Pale malt mashed pretty low, maybe a little sugar to dry it out, and then hop it to about 25 - 35 IBU with something mild. This will allow you to see what you've captured and give you a real taste for what the yeast brings to the party. If you've got an idea based on smell and/or taste of the starter, you may want to add a little more up-front hop or hopping schedule.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Back