Looking for an ingredient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random_Guy

Reaction score
Hey guys. almost a year ago my buddy gave me his brewing equipment. Awesome score. It didn't matter to him as the stuff was given to him by a guy who was moving and was getting rid of stuff. Along with the equipment came some ingredients. I was pretty new at the time and was not sure what to do with it so it sat it to the side. The other day I sorted out the equipment and saw the ingredients. With my inspection I found the recipe for Delirium Tremens. It is a extract recipe and I am missing 2 parts....

Yeast which is easily obtainable and a pound of Invert Sugar. The recipe says Lyle's Golden Syrup. I live in Eastern Tenn. Is there anywhere around her locally I can get this stuff or an I pretty much stuck with ordering online? Any sutable substitutes?

Thanks guys. :mug:

Nice. Looks like you will be getting my next order then. I need the yeast and syrup for this one, and I am looking to make a Haus Pale Ale as well to hold me over till the Delirium Tremens is ready. You have any discount coupons for HBT members anymore?

I find it at the grocery store around here. Dunno about where you're at, but it's with the pancake syrup around here. Thing is... Forrest's price is usually as good or better than any I find locally, so if you don't need it today, you're better off ordering some stuff from him and throwing a few jars in with your order. Stock up since it doesn't go bad quick! :D

Yeah, being that I am in the south and in the mountains.... if it isn't a biscuit or a snow shovel, they don't know what the hell it is.

I have seen this beer in the store actually. I remember actually commenting on how strange the bottle is. I might have to pick one up to see what I am in for. I don't think I will need more then one tin now.

If you're going to order the golden syrup, you might look at updating some of the other ingredients. If you've left them for a year, plus how ever long your buddy had them sitting around, plus how long the guy HE got them from had them sitting... that could be some ancient stuff right there. Stale extract makes stale tasting beer.

You see, that is what makes this interesting. It kinda reminds me of a thread I saw where some guys LHBS came up with a contest where they gave people random older ingredients and had them make beer to be judged...

It will not be much cost to me to make this with what I have now. So if it fails, it's not like I got $40 down the drain. Besides the grains are not milled and in an air tight bag(hoping that helps keep the freshness), The extract seems fine, and the hops are nicely sealed. I am going to go for it but thanks for the heads up.

I am going to also make the Haus Pale Ale to hold me over while I let the DT sit in the secondary for a while.

So I got what I need for this and will follow this recipe that I found and has the same ingredients as what I have...

Heat 1 gallon H2O @ 155F Add:
7 oz German Munich Malt
5 oz Belgian Biscuit malt
3 oz Belgian Aromatic Malt
Remove pot rom heat. Steep @ 150F for 30 min. Strain THE GRAIN WATER INTO BREWPOT. SPARGE the grains with 1/2 gllon of 150F water. Bring water to boil,remove from heat and add:

7.5# Muntons Extra Light DME
1.5 # Belgian Clear Candi Sugar
1# Invert sugar (Lyle's Golden Syrup)
1.5 oz Styrian Goldings @ 4.7% AA(7.1 HBU) bittering hop
Add water until total volume is 3.5 gallons. Boil 45 min then add:

1/4 oz Styrian Golding (flavor hop)
1/4 oz Czech Saaz (flavor hop)
1 tsp irish moss
Boil for 11 min. then add:
1/4 oz Czech Saaz (aroma hop)
1/4 tsp Grains of Paradise
Boil for 4 min. Chill for 20 min. Strain to primary fermeter. Add H2O to = 5 1/8 gallon. when temp below 70F pitch yeast
1st choice: Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abey Ale
2nd choice: Wyyeast 1338 Belgian Strong ale

I have seen other's calling to pitch some more yeast 3 days before bottling. If I were going to just keg this do you think I can skip that or is it added to help finish off any last minute fermenting???

Thanks.

Back