wyeast cider yeast and krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonp9576

Reaction score
i am making the recipe for graff that i found on here. i have 5 gallons of juice and it only calls for 4. i am using a 6.5 gal better bottle for fermenting. does the wyeast cider yeast create a vigorous fermentation that will blow off? will i be better off using my ale pail, it has more room in it.

i am making the recipe for graff that i found on here. i have 5 gallons of juice and it only calls for 4. i am using a 6.5 gal better bottle for fermenting. does the wyeast cider yeast create a vigorous fermentation that will blow off? will i be better off using my ale pail, it has more room in it.

i just brewed up graff and i used wyeast 4766 cider yeast, so far what ive seen is that the fermentation is active but i dont think you will need a blowoff. mine built up some heavy krausen for a day but then dropped back off. i was kind of suprised. although there are many factors in this. the smack pack didnt fully inflate after 12 hours so it might not have been the most healthy strain. worst case scenary you hook up the blow off tube, if you dont need it, disconnect and put on the airlock. i will tell you that i have noticed less of the rhino farts with the wyeast than with other yeasts.

hope yours come out well, i tweaked mine a bit. i added 1 oz of special b malt and used willamette hops since i am a huge fan of stouts, porters, etc.

let me know how yours turned out but again i didnt have to use a blowoff.:mug:

and the results are in... It seems that 4766 doesnt leave the quoted fruit flavor. it finished too dry and leaves no body. im thinking from now on the only way to make cider is to cold crash and rack to stop fermentation before it drys it all the way out.

would be interested in how the pear juice turned out

mine was in the primary for almost 3 weeks. i went from 1.060 to .0996 in just 2.5 weeks. i have a feeling that this is going to be something that ill have to learn to like to drink but overall looking at other cider threads it seems that this one of the not so preferred yeast to use. i just did another cider tonight and use wlp001. we'll see how that turns out. its one of my fav yeasts next to notty

I fermented with Nottingham for two weeks then bottled without any priming sugar. It was still a little sweet for my taste but not as sweet as a woodchuck Do you think 1. Will it carbonate and 2 will it dry out in the bottle? I don't have them refridgeated

I fermented with Nottingham for two weeks then bottled without any priming sugar. It was still a little sweet for my taste but not as sweet as a woodchuck Do you think 1. Will it carbonate and 2 will it dry out in the bottle? I don't have them refridgeated

If you did not do anything to remove or kill the yeast, it will continue to ferment out any remaining sugar if left at room temp, so it depends on the final sg.

use the forum search for "bottle conditioning" - this question has been asked and answered 100's of times

Back