What is wrong with these hop plants?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadDoc

Reaction score
Just took these pictures today and cant 100% identify what the problem is.

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

THis is on more than just my hop plants... also have some on my tomatoes

Anyone know exactly what these are?

The splotches on the leaves looks like over watering. The holes are bugs. That white on the bine could either be mold or bug larvae but the picture is fuzzy.

The splotches on the leaves looks like over watering. The holes are bugs. That white on the bine could either be mold or bug larvae but the picture is fuzzy.

heh yes stupid camera phone!

Hmm and the funny thing is i didnt start watering till awhile after those poped up.

THANKS! THat is what I was thinking about the water.. just didnt have a clear picture from where i was looking at to make sure.

The 1st pic looks kind of like sunflower or pine pollen has fallen on the leaves, as it seems to be concentrated near the veins/creases in the leaf. The 2nd pic is clearer & shows the yellow to be mostly absent from the veins; this says "iron deficiency" (chlorosis) to me, though it could certainly be something else. You can cure chlorosis by applying Ironite, or for fast results, use a foliar application of liquid iron chelate, both are safe for use on plants for human consumption.

Pic #3 is hard to tell as it's pretty blurry, but if the white stuff is kind of dry & powdery, it may be powdery mildew, though powdery mildew usually appears on the leaves. It may also be mealy bugs. If it's wet & foamy it may be spittle bugs. Powdery mildew is controlled with oil or fungicide, spittle bugs & mealy bugs with insecticide or perhaps some type of organic controls. Give your county extension agent a call he/she should be able to tell you exactly what those problems are & will do so for free, though for best results you should take samples to the extension agent for identification. Good luck, GF.

EDIT: The yellowing could also be a nitrogen deficiency, either way I'd hit it with some fert & iron. There are a few types of aphids that look white & fuzzy like that. Get out your magnifying glass & have a close look. If it is a mass of individual bugs, and if they're furry looking, it's likely some type of aphid. Malathion works on them, but if you want to avoid using chemicals you can get a bucket of ladybugs to release on the plants & around the yard/garden here: http://www.arbico-organics.com/organic-pest-control-beneficial-insects-organisms.html

Gratus fermentatio, is iron chelate safe for fish? Can certified organic growers use it? Just curious for my project.

I'd certainly be hesitant to use it too near an aquarium or koi pond; but in all honesty I'm not sure at what concentration any runoff would effect fish. I've never used it near a body of water. If you're talking small scale use (a few plants) you might try using a hand held spray bottle to mist the leaves in a foliar application, or even use a sponge dipped into the solution & wipe it onto the leaves, this would allow you to tightly control any overspray & avoid any significant runoff.

For larger applications, I think your best bet would be to shoot an email to these folks: GrowOrganic: Fertall Liquid Iron Chelate (Gallon) and consult with your county extension agent to be certain. Best to err on the side of caution I think. Hope some of this info helps. Regards, GF.

EDIT: I just did a little searching & found that there doesn't seem to be much scientific info on the effects of iron chelate on fish, not even from safety data sheets. Sorry I wasn't more helpful. Regards, GF.

chelated iron is dosed in a lot of planted fish tanks, I have no idea what sort of dose though. Check theplantedtank.net. I'm sure you can find something.

I'd certainly be hesitant to use it too near an aquarium or koi pond; but in all honesty I'm not sure at what concentration any runoff would effect fish. I've never used it near a body of water. If you're talking small scale use (a few plants) you might try using a hand held spray bottle to mist the leaves in a foliar application, or even use a sponge dipped into the solution & wipe it onto the leaves, this would allow you to tightly control any overspray & avoid any significant runoff.

For larger applications, I think your best bet would be to shoot an email to these folks: GrowOrganic: Fertall Liquid Iron Chelate (Gallon) and consult with your county extension agent to be certain. Best to err on the side of caution I think. Hope some of this info helps. Regards, GF.

EDIT: I just did a little searching & found that there doesn't seem to be much scientific info on the effects of iron chelate on fish, not even from safety data sheets. Sorry I wasn't more helpful. Regards, GF.

You were incredibly helpful, and thank you very much. I will look into the foliar spray application.:mug:

Synovia said:
chelated iron is dosed in a lot of planted fish tanks, I have no idea what sort of dose though. Check theplantedtank.net. I'm sure you can find something.

Thank you as well, very helpful the both of you.

Back