Most beautiful place you have ever been

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Mine has to be Xel-Ha down in Mexico. It's where all the underground rivers in the area go into the ocean. It was amazing! The snorkeling was the best. The fish were so abundant, huge and colorful. A really nice experience. On the airplane ride there we had a guy get really serious and tell us if you do anything here go to Xel-ha, great advice!

xelhaview.jpg

Also nearby there is the ancient city of Tulum. You take these crazy stairs from the cliff to the beach and can swim on the beach there. Amazing.

Ae14-tulum.jpg

I visited friends in the little town of Viu ("vyoo") in the Italian Alps. We drove about 20 minutes NW and were amongst the great Alps--towering chunks of rock that make you feel like a gnat. Snow in June. France over the mountain. Wow.

Funny you just posted, Monk. I was going to say the Medeterrenian coast of Turkey.

There are many little spots there that are excellent. For me I guess it was as much circumstance as it was the actual scenery, as that's where I met my wife. Beautiful beaches, teriffic atmosphere, etc.....

Oslo Norway.

Beautiful country, beautiful friendy people.
I bielieve it was mid August, right before college was starting up, and some of the few weeks where it's warm.

If you love snow and ride or skii- Powder Mountian in Utah

Well, I've been to most of those places (Tulum, Cancun, Chitzen Itza/Oslo, Lillihammer, Dombas, and Geiranger Fjord) plus thousands more (Antalya, Ephesus, Pammulkale, Turkey)...Minoan Palace, Iraklion, Crete...almost all the Spanish islands n the Med plus Grand Canary, Malta, Stonehenge in England, most of Ireland and Europe in General...hard to decide...:D

I really can't think of a place I really enjoyed over another. Finding new places to vacation is sometimes a chore in itself...probably back to the Caribbean for the 5th time...:confused:

just this last weekend went for a little solo backpack/fly-fishing trip to a small backcountry lake nestled in a valley between 13000 ft. peaks in the weminuche wilderness, not too far from Durango. Right now, because i'm thinking about it, i'd have to say that its one of the most beautiful places i've been. but i'll be staying in a farmhouse in the bavarian countryside in three weeks (with its own private lake to boot), and that might just blow my mind...so i'l have to post back then i guess.

Toughie....

I'm with Bill on the Caribbean. Jamaica just kills me. Haven't been back in 3 years but I just love it.

I'm also a huge fan of S.V. AZ, down in Jimmy Beam's neck of the woods. (Biased on this tho, my mom lives there and built this house with it's back to the Huachuca Mtns, with an amazing pool in the backyard and a well stocked bar. There's nothing like checking out the Milky Way at night in the pool with a cold beverage and listening to the coyotes howl up in the Mtns... I never seem to visit mom enuf. :p )

Hands down tho, it has to be Table Rock Lake, Southwest Missouri. Shell Knob/Viola specific. THAT is God's country. Amazing hills, an unbelievable lake, and outstanding people. I mean the water is like GLASS at sunset, and is a perfect temp all summer long. And the really good part? Nowhere NEAR Branson...

My .02

Ize

Sheesh, do we only get to pick one? I simply can't be done.
Here's the top five that blew me away so so far. Not in order, that would be asking too much.

1. Hawaiin Islands- take your pick
2. Giza
3. Schwarzwald
4. Sedona
5. Glacier National Park
and Puerto Rico ain't so shabby either.

You know, I thought I liked people around here, but now.

I hate you all. ;)

Don't worry, that's just the jealousy talking. Man, someday I'll be able to travel like that...

It's very hard to pick one, but I'll go with Thunder Creek Basin near Park Creek Pass in the North Cascades of Washington.

One of my children was even conceived there :rockin: (After 18 miles of backpacking that day, no less. Dang, I wish I were still young!)

I'll probably go with Algonquin Park in Ontario, a wilderness the size of Rhode Island with canoe trails. The actual scenery, while beautiful, isn't stunning like the Rockies or Andes, but the night sky 100 miles from any light pollution was the most amazing I've ever seen.

Seeing the Northern Lights one night on the way to the Chairman's Canadian stomping grounds (Alberta) was pretty spectacular, as well.

Ecuador was beautiful in places, and a trip to Chile/Argentina is pretty high on my list of future places to visit.

I've been to a lot of places, but one of the most beautiful sights had to be the first time I saw the Badlands of S.D. I had no clue what to expect, and when I walked up to the first outlook spot and saw the hugeness, I was humbled. Pictures do it no justice.

Hawaii has also been nice to my eyes. Maui especially, where I had the best snorkelling ever.

Other places I've liked:

1. St. Thomas and St. Bart
2. Antigua - Our Honeymoon!
3. Niagara Falls
4. The first coochie I got in
5. Whale watching in San Diego at sunrise
6. The flower market in Amsterdam
7. Mardi Gras in New Orleans
8. The delivery room when my son was born
9. Wrigley Field.

Its not a natural wonder, but one place that Ive been to that really took my breath away was Parc Guell in Barcelona. It was supposed to be a master planned community for the rich, but was never completed. It was designed by Antoi Gaudi, but he only completed the roads, the marketplace area, and three houses. The whole park looks over the city of Barcelona and the Mediteranean Sea.

some (not my) pics

- magno

homebrewer_99 said:
I was in SV in Feb visiting some friends we met in Germany...:D

Small Globe! My mom and stepdad were in Stuttgart for 4 years (89-93, his last overseas tour) and ended up down at the Fort when they came back....

I did leave Bavaria off my list above and shouldn't have. I took a little hike from the bridge and climbed quite the little path up a mountain and got a great pic of Schloss Nueschwanstein from above... The ein grossen bier was a huge necessity when I got back to the bottom. :drunk:

Ize

homebrewer_99 said:

We are on fire right now. We didnt get any snow all winter so the mountains are really dry. Kind of sad, but its a natural process.

someone mentioned sedona. in my opinion one of the most gorgeous plces ever, but can you believe they built a f*$in town in the middle of that country? humans....

Oh yea. I absolutely love Sedona. Its some of the best views of the desert you will ever find. And Cave Creek Brewery is there....one of my favorites

Ize said:
Small Globe! My mom and stepdad were in Stuttgart for 4 years (89-93, his last overseas tour) and ended up down at the Fort when they came back....

I did leave Bavaria off my list above and shouldn't have. I took a little hike from the bridge and climbed quite the little path up a mountain and got a great pic of Schloss Nueschwanstein from above... The ein grossen bier was a huge necessity when I got back to the bottom. :drunk: Ize
Check out some of my Germany pics...http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos)

Chimone said:
We are on fire right now. We didnt get any snow all winter so the mountains are really dry. Kind of sad, but its a natural process.

Yeah I heard that. :( Hope you guys are holding out ok.

Ize

Ize said:
Yeah I heard that. :( Hope you guys are holding out ok.

Ize

Its kind of rough on the sinuses right now. Nothing big. There are 10 hot shot crews here now, and the air tankers are making runs all day.

Chimone said:
Oh yea. I absolutely love Sedona. Its some of the best views of the desert you will ever find. And Cave Creek Brewery is there....one of my favorites

I was impressed with the hefe from oak creek brewing, although not so much the rest of the beers. didn't make it to cave creek last visit, actually didn't know it was there, i'll have to go next time, i've tried thier beers at fests before.

The Napali Coast on the NW side of Kaui. The Black Forrest is pretty nice too....

The worst/most awe inspiring in a bland intimidating way was flying over McMurdo in Antarctica.. The awe part is that there is nothing but pure flat white(with a rare rock popping up) as far as you can see from 25,000 feet.

TxBrew: I agree with you about Mexico. A year ago we took a family vacation and stayed at Playa de Carmen. The white sandy beaches and blue, blue ocean were absolutely beautiful.

http://www.visitmt.com/categories/city.asp?SiteID=1&City=Great+Falls

Greatfalls_GiantSprings.JPG
I would have to say Great Falls, Montana. I was there for four month doing a teaching Internship. There is something that you cant describe when you wake up in the morning and no matter which direction you are looking, you are stairing at a mountain. I still have the boots I bought there made from Kangaroo :rockin: The weather there is very strange. It could be sunny and 75 one day and the next you could need a winter coat. Mountain weather. When I was there the only thing to do after 5 was drink and line dance. Sure things have changed since then.

magno said:
Its not a natural wonder, but one place that Ive been to that really took my breath away was Parc Guell in Barcelona...The whole park looks over the city of Barcelona and the Mediteranean Sea.

some (not my) pics

- magno
Been to Barcelona three times. Can't understand why the statue of Columbus is not pointing toward the Atlantic though...:D

Ever make it up to Monserrat to see the Black Madonna?

I liked Tossa deMar....but I've also been to Mallorca (twice), Ibiza (THE sin party place to be), Formentera, plus the Canary Islands.

El Pistolero said:
I thought the kangaroo got all trapped out up in Montana years ago. :confused:

When I came back to Rochester (went to school at Rochester Institute of Technology) and went back to where I worked, there was this girl working there who was like this strick Vegan. She took one look at my boots and bloody freeked out. "How can you wear something that was a living breathing animal like that?!?" I said... "Well.... I have been feeling a lot more bouncy lately." and started bounching around like a kangaroo. She was so pissed. Didn't talk to me for weeks :D

Beer Snob said:
She took one look at my boots and bloody freeked out. "How can you wear something that was a living breathing animal like that?!?"
Did you ask her how she could stand the screaming when she bit into that lettuce, and where did she get off killing all those poor baby beans?

My favorite is Rocky Mountain National Park.....been going there every year for the past ten years! I love the mountains!

--Aaron

Aaron said:
My favorite is Rocky Mountain National Park.....been going there every year for the past ten years! I love the mountains!
Last time I was there (11 years ago I think) it was pretty much bumper to bumper driving thru the park...is it still that busy? It is some incredible scenery tho. :)

El Pistolero said:
Did you ask her how she could stand the screaming when she bit into that lettuce, and where did she get off killing all those poor baby beans?

I was young and easily intimidated. She gave me "the look" and I quietly walked (hopped) away.

homebrewer_99 said:
I didn't know anybody knew about the gem of Sierra Vista! I was at Fort Huachuca for a couple of my greatest months in the Marines. It's been almost 7 years though. There wasn't a moment I didn't enjoy unless I was stuck inside!

Back