First Hefe review and comment please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucasszy

Reaction score
Beer: first try hefe
Style: Weizen/Weissbier

Type: Extract w/grain
Size: 5 gallons

Color estimate:
7 HCU (~6 SRM)
Bitterness estimate: 21 IBU
OG: 1.073 FG: 1.014
Alcohol: 7.0% v/v (5.5% w/w)

Grain steep:
8 oz. Belgian aromatic
1 lb. Flaked wheat
8 oz. acid malt

Boil: 60 minutes 3 gallons

1 lb. 8 oz. Light malt extract
6 lb. Wheat extract

Boil: 10 minutes
1 lb. Honey
.5 lb camomile flowers

Hops: 2 oz. Hallertauer (4.25% AA, 60 min.)
.25 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 15 min.)
.25 oz. Saaz (3.75% AA, 15 min.)
.25 oz. Spalt (6.75% AA, 15 min.)

Yeast:
Hefe IV pitched at 67 degrees (first slow bubbles within 1 hour)

Any comments or review would be greatly appreciated.

What was the honey for? And chamomile? And acid malt? That's no hefe, that's a...um...witbier of sorts. Let us know how it turns out, though. You probably won't win any comps with it, regardless, given that it's probably not gonna fit in any BJCP categories, but regardless...it'll be a wheat beer.

It would be interesting...I'd keep it simple using all wheat malt extract, MAYBE 1 ounce of hops in 2 additions (Something like 75. oz @ 60min & .25 oz @ 20min). You don't need the flaked wheat, i'm sure what the acid malt is really about, and the belgian aromatic along with honey & camomile flowers is going on a boarder line belgian wit. None the less, let us know how it comes out. I'd be interested to know :mug:

It was a modified recipe that I found online. Seems to have gotten good reviews on the site that it was listed.

WE'll see, call it experimentation.

Cheers

Lucas

Way too many ingredients IMO. A good HW is really simple:

6 lbs Wheat DME (rarely above 6.6 lbs)
3AAs hops at boiling

That's it.

Incidently, your calculation is a bit off: OG: 1.073 FG: 1.014...at 73 / 4 = 18 FG.

That's still kind of high. If you let it go lower it'll be more dry.

Looking at the list of ingredients; my mouth is watering something fierce. It may not win competitions but I think it will be a winner as far as having a tasty brew goes. Be sure and post the results when you get it finished, I would be very interested in how it tastes.

This weekend I tasted this after bottling with .5lb of pale malt extract and carbonating with an additional of american ale yeast (dry sasafale)

This stuff is amazing! Rich and creamy and STRONG!!! The honey taste comes thru, as does a smidge of chamomile.

I will definitely brew this again.... It just took weeks and weeks to ferment. OG was almost 1.080.

This has an awesome kick. Not a session beer at all!

Cheers

lucas

Dude that is going to be one highly alcoholic hefe. I guess thats a good thing for all the women you plan on giving it to. (did i say that out loud)

The honey wheat has aged a while in the fridge and the flavors have definitely mellowed out quite a lot. This one needs aging before being able to enjoy this beer. Not a hefe, but I could care less.

The SMaSH ale is coming out great as well!

Cheers

Back