Big Mountain Barley Wine (Homebrewers Outpost Kit)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepp1116

Reaction score
Hey, I've been fermenting my Big Mountain Barley Wine for a week, checked the gravity and everything seems normal. Anyone have any advice or suggestions on how long this type of beer should ferment for? I had a kit from homebrewers outpost before that offered vague instructions on how long to ferment, and my bottles exploded (possibly not done fermenting?)! Thanks

Can you give a few details? What was the OG? What's it at now?

There is no printed timetable for "how long to ferment". You ferment until it is done. The bigger the beer, the more cautious you should be about rushing it into bottles. It is done when the gravity is stable over a period of days, but as a practical matter it often pays to wait.

FWIW, I rarely bottle earlier than four weeks.

The Original Gravity was 1.080. The gravity after a week of fermentation is 1.024. I planned on letting it ferment longer and periodically check the gravity. The instructions with the kit said that the beer should be ready in 7-10 days or after the gravity was stable. After some research I was skeptical about the 7-10 days. Thanks.

That's a good size beer. A 3-4 week wait will only improve it.

zepp1116 said:
Hey, I've been fermenting my Big Mountain Barley Wine for a week, checked the gravity and everything seems normal. Anyone have any advice or suggestions on how long this type of beer should ferment for? I had a kit from homebrewers outpost before that offered vague instructions on how long to ferment, and my bottles exploded (possibly not done fermenting?)! Thanks

BTW, have you had the original? I've been looking for a good barleywine kit to try since I've never had a barleywine.

I had a goofed up AG LHMS that came in at 1.092 (wife helped by adding 1/2 gal of LME). Let it sit for 4 wks on primary finished at 1.022
Dang good beer but took a while. I have it sitting in corny still aging as it is pretty sweet. I pull 1 or 2 a wx just to savor it.
Take your time and let it finish on its own time. FWIW I had to double pitch yeast to keep it moving.

Latest posts

Back