Possible infection - but what is it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caphector

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been brewing for a few years and haven't had an infected batch yet. I did a low gravity (1.040 or so) mead which was fermented in a covered bucket with SA-05 and WLP720. It is down to 1.004.

I'm seeing a pellicle of some kind on the mead's surface. Does anyone recognize what this might be?

image-2105210660.jpg

Any off smell? I would suggest racking it off and making sure to leave that cake of jelly looking stuff out. Crushing the appropriate amount of campden for the size and keep an eye on it. Hopefully it's an isolated issue and it won't come back

When did you start this and when did you notice the film?

What were the ingredients and additives in this batch? And did you use fresh or washed yeast? Do you have vinegar in the proximity?

Definitely rack to carboy and apply airlock, be sure to dose with Campden or k-meta. How does it taste/smell?

Let me know after you remove the film how it feels. Firm, rubbery or splits apart like mucous, etc.

Wasn't able to feel; broke apart too easily.

I think it was acetobacter, as the mead is lightly tart, reminiscent of a Berliner weisse. I threw in some potassium metabisulphate, as I had it on hand. I can grab something else tomorrow if that would work better.

Back