Plan B, just in case...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I've got two starters in my basement on a heating pad right now. One's WLP500 (Chimay), the other is Wyeast 1762 (Rochefort). Both are from virgin packs/vials...that had been resting in my lagerator for 6 months or so. Now, I've used "old" yeast before, so I'm not terribly concerned, but, I smacked the 1762 yesterday morning, and by the evening, it hadn't swollen at all. I pitched both of them into starters last night, and there hasn't been a flutter of activity in either one as of this morning.

They're for the Tripel Twins - two batches, side by side, same recipe, Belgian Tripel. We've got about t-minus 3.5 hours until mash-in, and I'm going to pitch the starters regardless. But let's say, after 3 or 4 days, there's no activity. I'm going to assume that they weren't viable, and move on to Plan B.

I've got a bunch of US-05 and Nottingham, a couple packets of WB-06 (wheat beer yeast), one T-58 (spicy!), one S-04...

The T-58 sounds like a viable alternative, but I've only got one packet. Maybe the WB-06?

I'm in a similar predicament myself, as I have some year old WLP500 I want to use this weekend. HB99 has mentioned in the past that he uses old yeast with a starter all the time, and enjoys great results. I wouldn't sweat it, worst case scenario the ferment just takes a little longer to get started.

One interesting tidbit I did read on the Wyeast pack recently that I never noticed before was that it said you could pitch the yeast immediately out of the pack, and you didn't have to wait for the pouch to swell.:eek:

I say go with the T-58 and the WB-06 for your contingency plan. One in each batch, and take good notes.

The old 34 minute bump trick, eh?

Normally I'd say to give it another day, but I know you're brewing in t-minus 3 hours so I'd recommend that you pitch both starters and take a wait and see approach. If it takes 24-36 hours longer to see visible signs of fermentation it would be worth it to me.

The strains that you have are critically important to the character of what you're brewing and I'd be pretty hesitant to introduce anything else - even something neutral like Nottingham.

Hmm. I've used WLP500 for the cranberry beer that exploded, its sitting in secondary needing to be bottled. I could get you some of the yeast from that when I bottle it if you need it. I also have some of the yeast slurry in the fridge when I made the Chimay Clone, but its been in there for a while...

Other than that, I can't think of an alternative for a Belgian yeast. I've got a vial of Scottish Ale and a vial of Irish Ale yeast, some S-05, maybe some S-04.

The WB-06 may do the job.

I bet if you aerate the batches really well you won't have a problem. I've had good success rousing old yeast with a starter and a good boost of O2 in the wort.

rohanski said:
Did you aerate the starter? I have found that works wonders.

I just shook them up, but maybe I'll oxygenate them when I get home. Thanks...forgot about that. :mug:

I always aerated the wort and not the starter but when I starter aerating the starters it kicked everything into high gear. Since I started aerating starters all of my batches need a blow off tube where I never had to have one before. They also start up almost as soon as it is pitched.

I used a 7 month old smack pack that didn't swell (did a starter) for the Nut Brown. Everything worked out fine.

I'd be hesitant to use different yeast. I mean, the whole purpose of this brew is to compare those two yeasts, correct? Don't go screwin' thangs up!

If you want to play it real safe, we could always go through a case of Chimay and Rochefort, and add the sediment from the bottles to your brews....
:drunk:

iamjonsharp said:
If you want to play it real safe, we could always go through a case of Chimay and Rochefort, and add the sediment from the bottles to your brews....
:drunk:

Yeah, I'll drop by WW tonight and snag a couple cases....:rockin:

I'm about to post a new thread. The brews turned out well. Good efficiency, hit my numbers, and they both look identical in the carboy.

I first saw some spots on the surface of the Rochefort batch last night...a good 48 hours after pitching. This morning, we've got full-blown 1/4" krausen and some airlock activity. The Chimay is lagging behind, but if I'm not mistaken, it has some tiny spots on the surface this morning too. But at least one of them took off, so I can hit the other one with the T-58, worst case.

Sounds like you had a busy brew weekend...I did as well!

I used dry yeast for the first time....worked out well for me

98EXL said:
Sounds like you had a busy brew weekend...I did as well!

I used dry yeast for the first time....worked out well for me

I had a busy weekend in general, actually. But both batches are chugging away as we speak, so things are well and plan B was unnecessary.

You've never used dry yeast before? Wow! Unless it's some kind of specialty thing...wheat beer...belgian...etc, then I normally won't bother with anything but US-05 or Nottingham.

nope, never dry...just never appealed to me, until I ordered from Austin Homebrew, and I knew I was going to be out of town when it arrived, so I just got dry, rehydrated it, and it took off like the wind!

I did my first 10 hour, 10 gallon brew session saturday, it was teh tits!

Back