Stained Cement Floor Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-MG-

Reaction score
So I took a basement room and turned it in my brewery and I cleaned the floor, stained it with a couple of coats of behr transparent, and sealed with two coats of a behr sealer.

The room has seen heavy traffic with my buddies coming over with the beer pong table i've built. There are areas around the table that the stain has come off or something, its spotty like rain drops in some areas and its not peeling, its just completely gone. it's really only around the pong table itself which leads me to believe either beer or some sort of cleaning solution I used was wrong. I almost think the beer did something. Other areas of the room are holding great and the entrance has no issues.

Should I just take some left over stain and go over these 'spotty' areas again and reseal? I really do not want to strip the entire rooms paint and redo it.

Ideas?

Depends on how bad it looks. If they're small enough stains, you can probably overstain and re-seal the area. The risk is that the stain might not match the original but depending on the color and opacity, that might not be an issue. I'd probably try that before stripping the floor and trying again.

Depends on how bad it looks. If they're small enough stains, you can probably overstain and re-seal the area. The risk is that the stain might not match the original but depending on the color and opacity, that might not be an issue. I'd probably try that before stripping the floor and trying again.

Doesn't look bad at all. Not incredibly noticeful unless you are the one who did the work and are critical of it. :)

Well I decided to pick up some bonding primer to go over the entire high traffic area. This was at the advice of what seemed to be a knowledgeable paint HD employee. We'll see.

He said the nice thing is you'll know pretty quick if the primer will take to the surface depending on if it will dry and the time. Within 30 minutes of applying it, I am noticing the area drying pretty quickly so I think I will be ok. Just to be safe, I am considering two coats of the primer.

Than I am going to apply the paint again and from there put on a waterproof sealer he recommended that would be a better protective than a standard sealer for higher foot traffic.

Back