Belgian Style Winter Warmer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Szimdars

Reaction score
:D

Here is the Belgian Style Winter Warmer Recipe I just threw down on.... Should be exhilerating!

Black Blizzard Belgian

7# Briess Liquid Malt Extract
8 oz Belgian Aromatic
6 oz Special B
6 oz Chocolate Malt
6 oz Crystal 80L
2 oz Black Malt
1# Dark Belgian Candi Sugar

60minute - .5 oz Magnum
30minute - .5 oz Willamette
15minute - .5 oz Willamette
15minute - 1/8 oz ground allspice
15minute - 1/8 oz ground nutmeg
15minute - spice satchel including:
- 1.5 oz Sweet Orange Peel
- 1/8 oz star anise
- 1/8 oz clove
- 3x cinnamon stick

WLP 500 - Belgian Trappist Ale Yeast

Delta OG was 1.061 and the initial flavor is sweet and spicy.... should be a good one.

I brewed a beer similar to this a few weeks ago. However, I was concerned about how much of the spice flavor I would actually get throwing that into the brew kettle. I'm going with a tea at bottling time instead. How well do you feel those flavors are going to come through in your final product?

I can smell them quite a bit off of the boil. Tasting the product pre-pitch it was awesome, the spice was more aromatic than on the palate and seemed to be smoothed by the orange peel. I was concerned as well; I wanted a big splash of intense flavor but not to overpower and that's why I used a hop sock for only 15 minutes through flameout. I think this achieved the goal appropriately but of course only time will tell.

Bottling this weekend and brainstorming up some ideas to pitch on top of the cake. I have most of these ingredients at home. I might go get some fresh orange peel & cinnamon and give this one a try.

Not a bad choice, I must say! It smells delicious and going into the bottles it ALMOST tasted like dr. pepper.. I am pretty excited

Back