What do you think of this recipe for IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougie63

Reaction score
12.0lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 90.6 %
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.7 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.8 %
2.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00%] (40 min) Hops 76.0 IBU
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00%] (15 min) Hops 21.5 IBU
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00%] (5 min) Hops 8.6 IBU

Doing a Brew in a bag 5 gal batch

Looks good. You could decrease the first hop addition and boil for 60 minutes to get the same IBU, then use the hops you saved to dry hop after fermentation is done.

It's hard to give advice without knowing what yeast you plan to use or have available.

Nottingham dries out pretty well, so I'd mash up around 155ºF or even higher. With over 100 calculated IBUs of the rather dramatic CTZ, I would want enough body to smooth out the beer.

I'd probably omit the carapils and sub in a pound of Munich. Also up the C40 to .75- 1 lb. THis will give you a bit more maltiness to stand up to the hops. Or you could mash higher as 944play stated. I personally like keep the mash part of my process constant and adjust the ingredients to get where I want, I always mash at 152 or so.

I agree that the beer will have a huge amount of bitterness from that first hop addition. I'd move the hop schedule around to get 20-30 IBUs from the first addition and get the rest from later additions, you can keep that same target IBUs but get there with the later additions. You want the initial addition to balance the beer and the later additions to add huge flavor and aroma and more IBUs of course. If you get 76 IBUs from your first addition, you will have a SUPER bitter beer.

There is no need to sanitize hops for dry hopping, hops are actually antiseptic and the beer will have some alchohol in it by the time you put the hops in lessening the chance of infection even more.

I show in beersmith that my OG should be around 1.071 if I went up to 14 lbs 2 row, does that sound about right?

+1 to dry hopping and moving some of your bittering hops to flavor/aroma.

Grainbill looks good to me.

also, I am totally new to this BIAB thing how much water should I use for a no sparge, I have a 10 gal kettle and want at least a 5 gal batch or maybe a 5.5-6.0 gal batch after the boil and I want to have at least 7% ABV as well. SHould I boost up the 2 row?

Probably - you really dont know your efficiency at all and if you undershoot with that big of a first hop addition you might regret it. I would brew your recipe as is and throw 1oz at 60 and the other at 30. 10 & 5 for the last. 2 oz upfront at 40 seems like a lot and kind of a waste.

well, I brewed it today and my OG was 1.084 started with 7 gallons and added the 16 lbs of total malt boil started at 6 gallons and sfor ome reason I ended up with less than 5 gallons in the fermenter. Not to mention riased temp to 169 for mash out and left it sit for 10 minutes, alot of solids separated as well is that sugars? Starch?

Back