My first beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robm184

Reaction score
So I started making beer technically the other day but I have helped one of my friends a few times.
So here is some of the stuff i threw together let me know if you guys think it will be alright

1 LB Crystal Malt 10
6 LBS LME (PALE)

1.5 oz Cascade 60 minutes
0.5 oz Cascade 5 minutes

6.0 oz Organic Honey 15 minutes
6.0 oz Organic Honey 0 minutes

WLP 351

i pitched @ 72

and my OG is 1.052

I was alittle worried since it started a bit late but its bubbling now...

and instead of corn sugar i might use half a lb of honey again... I am excited on my first beer i will update in a few weeks

It looks good. The honey is an interesting addition. I would suggest sticking to the corn sugar, however, for the sake of predictability of carbonation.

Yeah, I wouldn't fool with honey to carbonate yet. It may be harder to get the level right.

Thanks for the comments, its still bubbling strong. I probably should have researched it prior but I read somewhere I should of added the honey to the primary or even rack it to a secondary rather in the boil since the taste it probably going to be lost but hey how would i ever learn...

I've used honey to carbonate with. If you weigh it, and aim for a decent level (around the middle for the style) you'll get good results. I would use one of the online calculation tools to figure out how much to actually ad though. Don't just wing it. Actually, don't wing it even with white, ultra-processed, sugars (which I've never used to carbonate a batch with).

If you REALLY want good flavors of honey, use honey malt in a batch. You could combine that with actual honey, if you really wanted to... I used 1# of honey malt in my wee heavy and people always ask me (if I don't tell them ahead of time) how much honey I used in it (or what kind)... So if you don't care about getting a specific type of honey flavor in the batch, use honey malt. Otherwise, add the honey once fermentation has slowed down. Once you heat it past 110F, you're losing a lot of what gives it the flavors. At that point, it will just ferment out, giving you a lower FG than if you used malt...

Thanks for the advice, I live in Hawaii and they make this delicious white honey and that is what I want to use to carbonate but still undecided.

http://www.volcanoislandhoney.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=110K8

Aloha from the West Side, Wai`anae. I guess you've found our only LHBS down in Mapunapuna Indst. Area. I find it's best to buy everything from him due to shipping costs from mainland suppliers.

If you can plan ahead enough you can save on dry yeast and I'd think hops which are both light. I've been buying from MidWest and I add things to the shopping cart until the price for shipping using USPS Priority Mail changes. I bought 4 packs of S04 yeast and even w/the shipping I was able to get one Munich Yeast for less than buying the 4 from the local shop. Probably could have gotten a few more in the envelope if I played it right.

Aloha,

I did find our only one, you figured they would be a few more in Hawaii but shipping is just atrocious, I was originally going to buy everything for MidWest but the shipping was more than 50% of everything I wanted. I am moving in September so I am going to have to find a new supplier in Germany.

I read somewhere I should of added the honey to the primary or even rack it to a secondary rather in the boil since the taste it probably going to be lost but hey how would i ever learn...

I've learned if you cover your pot when adding honey at the end of the boil, you retain much of the aroma and flavor. The key is to watch your fermentation carefully. Don't let it ferment all the way out, or you will lose the honey characteristics. You want to leave some residual sweetness.

I've learned if you cover your pot when adding honey at the end of the boil, you retain much of the aroma and flavor. The key is to watch your fermentation carefully. Don't let it ferment all the way out, or you will lose the honey characteristics. You want to leave some residual sweetness.

Ill try next time.... Thanks

Aloha,

I did find our only one, you figured they would be a few more in Hawaii but shipping is just atrocious, I was originally going to buy everything for MidWest but the shipping was more than 50% of everything I wanted. I am moving in September so I am going to have to find a new supplier in Germany.

Hmmmm, lets see,
1-lives in Wahiawa
2-moving to Germany
3-must be in the army

Thanks for your service from a former sailor sent to Hawai`i in 1963 and never left!! :tank:

Hmmmm, lets see,
1-lives in Wahiawa
2-moving to Germany
3-must be in the army

Thanks for your service from a former sailor sent to Hawai`i in 1963 and never left!! :tank:

I am, I never wanted to leave Hawaii but the Army says I have been overseas too long, lol, so they are sending me to Germany... I just hope I get to brew a few beers before I go and at least get some of the basics down... I really enjoyed brewing the other day.... Drinking+Brewing= Beautiful Saturday

So I started making beer technically the other day but I have helped one of my friends a few times.
So here is some of the stuff i threw together let me know if you guys think it will be alright

1 LB Crystal Malt 10
6 LBS LME (PALE)

1.5 oz Cascade 60 minutes
0.5 oz Cascade 5 minutes

6.0 oz Organic Honey 15 minutes
6.0 oz Organic Honey 0 minutes

WLP 351

i pitched @ 72

and my OG is 1.052

I was alittle worried since it started a bit late but its bubbling now...

and instead of corn sugar i might use half a lb of honey again... I am excited on my first beer i will update in a few weeks

Sooo its been 13 days so i decided to rack it to the Secondary and it was actually pretty tasty... I was really happy with it.... So i decided to just add a bit of honey in the secondary so i added 12 oz... but I really cant wait for a finished product

FG:1.010

So I finally had a taste... it had great head retention and a great bite... but the after taste was a bit lemony.... not bad... not terrific but I will drink it... and I dont know if it was because I didnt have a beer in a week or so but I was buzzed after just a couple of them... not my intention but at least I got something out of it.... :mug:

I have found that my home-brews get me going a little more quickly than a commercial product, but it doesn't seem to last as long. The only thing I can think of is something to do with pasteurization and the existence of the yeast. But I certainly don't see anything to complain about there. That's a pretty simple but interesting looking recipe; I'd be curious to see how it mellows out over time. My favorite batch so far was good at 3 weeks in the bottle and it's great now at two months.

I have found that my home-brews get me going a little more quickly than a commercial product, but it doesn't seem to last as long. The only thing I can think of is something to do with pasteurization and the existence of the yeast. But I certainly don't see anything to complain about there. That's a pretty simple but interesting looking recipe; I'd be curious to see how it mellows out over time. My favorite batch so far was good at 3 weeks in the bottle and it's great now at two months.

Yea I am glad I bottled 6 beers (cooper Drops) to give them some time.... , but all I did was Keg the rest... and I forced Carb....

I primed my first brew (an American Pale Ale) with 1/2 cup of honey and it carbonated beautifully

robm184 said:
I am, I never wanted to leave Hawaii but the Army says I have been overseas too long, lol, so they are sending me to Germany... I just hope I get to brew a few beers before I go and at least get some of the basics down... I really enjoyed brewing the other day.... Drinking+Brewing= Beautiful Saturday

Dude, Hawaii then Germany? You're on someone's good side at orders branch. Do you have specific orders for a post in Germany, or just reception? Spent a couple of great years over there...

Dude, Hawaii then Germany? You're on someone's good side at orders branch. Do you have specific orders for a post in Germany, or just reception? Spent a couple of great years over there...

This is true, Artillery Branch, Ms. Rice, I have chosen every place I have been. I am probably luckier than most but all I do is email those guys... and I get it...
I went to Stewart (Awesome)
Carson (pretty nice place)
Hawaii for 6 years.... (I am in Love)

and now I am going to Vilseck, By Graf... I have pinpoint...
But I am brewing till I leave here.... which is pretty awesome...

Just think how much you'll be able to learn about the craft right there in the land of the Braumeister!!

robm184 said:
This is true, Artillery Branch, Ms. Rice, I have chosen every place I have been. I am probably luckier than most but all I do is email those guys... and I get it...
I went to Stewart (Awesome)
Carson (pretty nice place)
Hawaii for 6 years.... (I am in Love)

and now I am going to Vilseck, By Graf... I have pinpoint...
But I am brewing till I leave here.... which is pretty awesome...

Don't know Vilseck at all...was in Wurzburg. Spent a few exercises in Graf, freezing my butt off. If you get a chance, grab some Wurzburgerhof Hefe. Best I had over there, hands down, along with the Christmas beers. And no matter what, do Oktoberfest in Munich. Thousands of drunken Germans know how to party, brother.

Keep your head down

Just think how much you'll be able to learn about the craft right there in the land of the Braumeister!!

I know... I am very excited.... to learn the craft and drink the craft...:cross:

Don't know Vilseck at all...was in Wurzburg. Spent a few exercises in Graf, freezing my butt off. If you get a chance, grab some Wurzburgerhof Hefe. Best I had over there, hands down, along with the Christmas beers. And no matter what, do Oktoberfest in Munich. Thousands of drunken Germans know how to party, brother.

Keep your head down

Vilseck is North or Munich, and East of Wurzburg.... but I will be checking out Oktoberfest....:rockin:

It seems like a long time ago I posted this but its been barely over a month... Since I made 4 beers... I think I am hooked... :tank:

Back