Rosemary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellaruche

Reaction score
I want to add a hint of rosemary to a batch. I plan on brewing tonight (11/12). I've searched this site and it appears that about 1/2 tsp to 1 1/2 tsp at the last 15 minutes of the primary boil should do it. Has anyone had success, or lack of, with rosemary. Looking for a winter spruce feel. Thanks for any response.

Adding onto a 5 gallon Pale Ale batch.

Ingredients:
•8 pounds, Alexanders pale malt extract
•1/4 pound, Crystal 40L (light)
•1/4 pound, Crystal 80L (medium)
•1/2 ounce, Chinook (12%), 60 min. boil
.•1 ounce, Cascade (5.5%), 30 min. boil
•1 to 1--1/2 ounce, Cascade - Dry-hopped
•Wyeast #1056 American Ale Yeast
•3/4 cup, corn sugar to prime

*no call for it, just want to experiment

If you haven't started yet, I would advise brewing up a decent starter culture. I was looking into natural preservatives for one of my craft experiments. Rosemary was one of the herbs listed to act as an anti-fungal.

Used in brewing, I'm not certain how much it would take to impede fermentation but it's still something to consider.

I ended up using a tablespoon of fresh chopped for the last 15 minutes of the boil. After mixing with the cold break bucket, there was a faint rosemary aroma. As far as fermentation goes, it took about 3 hours for some good airlock action. So, there was no adverse reaction. After 5 hours, it was heavily gurgling...went to bed, 7 hours later, still heavily gurgling. Interested to see what transpires.

I searched through the herb/vegetable section. Came up with one cached recipe with predominently basil based ingredients. I took my portion from what I read there. Thanks for the link. I'm half way through a 4 day weekend... may have to brew some more!

According to the link Revvy sent, I should be tracking okay with the amount I used. I would rather slightly under-herb it than over the top... atleast this time. Seems that steeping in lieu of hops was traditional and was boiled for the full hour. I steeped 'em for 15 minutes.

Back