Is this picture mold in my beer?...If it is, Can I still Bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cshrode21

Reaction score
photostream

photostream

This is a simcoe IPA. 2 1/2 weeks in the primary and everything was looking good. I racked to the secondary and its been about a week now and this started developing yesterday. Is this mold? If it is can I still bottle the beer underneath the surface of the mold? I'd hate to see it all go to waste.

Yea that definitely looks like an infection. As long as it isn't sour tasting, many people will bottle it by siphoning under the top layer with no ill effects. Personally, I wouldn't be able to stomach it.

It's really hard to judge. But I have racked under mold once, and the beer below was fine. You have to pull a sample and taste it.

+1. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like mold is a likely option to me. The nice thing about mold is that it mainly keeps to the surface so it doesn't really affect the beer if you just rack under it.

If taste a sample and don't spit it out or rush to rinse your mouth out with something else, it's probably worth bottling.

I'll try a little today and then try to bottle it and just siphon under it...hopefully everything works out. I must have gotten a little lazy with my sanitation practices though I can't pinpoint what.

Looks sorta like how my Squire's Respite looked in secondary. It ended up having a brett infection..though it came on late so its drinkable, but obviously infected.

Latest posts

Back