Regulator failed...second best option

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefflandis

Reaction score
My secondary ferment is ready for kegging. I have a corny keg setup which I was prepping to use for transfer. Upon hooking it up and checking for leaks I noticed the regulator gauge is somehow broken. The needle on the gauge is not registering. It looks like it has twined all the way around the dial to the other side of the peg. When I release the pressure in the tank it free flows and has no pressure gauge dial movement. It seems that the regulator gauge has failed...even though I can still regulate the amount of C02 released with the screw on the regulator. The keg and hoses are holding pressure with no leaks.

To add, I leave for a three week vacation Saturday early morning. I need to figure some way to either fix the regulator, pressure the corny without gauge regulation, or fill the keg and leave it in the fridge un-pressurized until I get back. I have also thought about priming sugar as a second best, but would rather C02 carbonate. I have tomorrow to figure out a solution. The best scenario would be that the beer wold be ready to drink when I get back from vacation :) At least that is what I was hoping for.

What is my best option. I do not think I can get a regulator in time. I have a 5 gallon batch of All Amarillo IPA in the secondaty ready for transfer. Thanks for any ideas.

I would leave it in the secondary it should be fine. I would not want it in a keg without pressure to seal the lid. I also would not want to try and guess with how much pressure is going in keg. In theory regulators have a 55-60 lb blow off protection valve, if you reg is not working properly I would not mess with it.

You could prime it with sugar and then seal the lid with slight pressure from the tank. Remove it from the regulator and when you return it should be well on its way to being carbonated.

My secondary ferment is ready for kegging. I have a corny keg setup which I was prepping to use for transfer. Upon hooking it up and checking for leaks I noticed the regulator gauge is somehow broken. The needle on the gauge is not registering. It looks like it has twined all the way around the dial to the other side of the peg. When I release the pressure in the tank it free flows and has no pressure gauge dial movement. It seems that the regulator gauge has failed...even though I can still regulate the amount of C02 released with the screw on the regulator. The keg and hoses are holding pressure with no leaks.

To add, I leave for a three week vacation Saturday early morning. I need to figure some way to either fix the regulator, pressure the corny without gauge regulation, or fill the keg and leave it in the fridge un-pressurized until I get back. I have also thought about priming sugar as a second best, but would rather C02 carbonate. I have tomorrow to figure out a solution. The best scenario would be that the beer wold be ready to drink when I get back from vacation :) At least that is what I was hoping for.

What is my best option. I do not think I can get a regulator in time. I have a 5 gallon batch of All Amarillo IPA in the secondaty ready for transfer. Thanks for any ideas.

Is there a gas/welding place near you? Where do you fill your co2 tank?

Usually these places will sell you a guage for a couple bucks.

If you want to drink it when you get back, keg, prime, and hit it with a bit of CO2 to set the lid. Don't put it in the fridge. There might be a little sediment in the first pint.

+1 for prime the keg, seat the lid, and enjoy your trip while your beer carbs. Get a new guage to install when you get home.

Is there a gas/welding place near you? Where do you fill your co2 tank?

Usually these places will sell you a guage for a couple bucks.

There might be. I fill my C02 by telling my Dad, it's time for a fill. He is in the extinguisher business.

I think I might just prime with sugar and put a bit of carb in the keg to seal the lid. Why shouldn't I put it in the fridge? Chilling beer would be my first instinct.

to cold for the yeast to do there thing ...
+1 prime and leave out of fridge

I use 1 oz per gal - or 4-5 oz for 5 gal depending on the beer- boil in a cup of water then add to keg - rack on top of the syrup

some people say to use less sugar 3 or so ounces would probably be fine then you could Finnish carbing with co2. (if needed)

Back