Trois Pistoles Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theganda

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Trois Pistoles uses their regular yeast to carbonate or if they have a separate conditioning yeast? Just picked up a bottle and wanted to use the yeast for a dubbel I plan on brewing. Also, this is the first time I've bought a 750 ml bottle. Do I have to drink this all at once (slowwwwly)? Would I lose carbonation if were to quickly recork it? Thanks.

Not sure about the yeast...

You will not be able to re-cork, but who would EVER do that! Drink it all, weenie! ;)

Edit: Or invite a friend. I'd share it with ya' if I was a bit closer!

I love the unibrou products. Maudite was one of the first craft beers that got me started on this beer addiction seven years ago. That being said I have had trois pistoles on tap and out of the bottle and they taste very similiar. I would think that if the yeast in the bottle were just a conditioning yeast it would at least make the bottled beer taste different then the kegged. In my opinion the yeast in the bottle is the actual yeast used in fermentation. Again though this is just my thought.

I know I know I'm a pansy for even suggesting I re-cork it. That being said, its probably good to post before I take down the whole bottle. I'll give the yeast a shot, and if it's not what I'm looking for I'll chalk it up to experience.

I seem to remember that beer being pretty high in alcohol - that's not too great for the yeast. I would definitely check to see if there's any kind of 'brewed on' date on the bottle.

If it's not too young, maybe use the dregs of two bottles to culture...

Wyeast 3864 is what they use, if you can find it. It's part of Wyeast's seasonal "private collection"

Back