home brew supply shops in......NJ!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Postman- I hear you man- I have AG equipment and most often do Heavy PM (5lbs+ of grain) simply because my 1year old is not interested in my being busy for hours on end. I suggest you consider doing what I do- and use just one or two pounds of DME- and the rest grain- which means that you can get away with Not doing a full boil- which means that you don't have to chill 5 gal or wort, etc. I just use a 5gal cooler- that I converted to a mash tun with a procedure I learned here- mash while I prep/sanitize everything-etc. It only adds an hour to your extract routine. The difference- in my opinion is HUGE. And you get play around with different grains- etc. I love it. Plus- after you get the cooler squared away- you are saving about one third of so on your current price per batch.
Yup.

It's like kegs vs All Grain equipment.

Also- with the kid variable- I will tell you that Kegs not only give you more control over your carb. levels, but they take less time, and you sanitize ONE thing- not 50+- and that saves some serious time and effort.
Only downside is not being able to bring samples for buddies, etc.

The Defiant Brewery in Pearl River, NY is sometimes willing to sell grain to homebrewers. Give a call first. Pearl River is nust over the border from Montvale, NJ. Great beer, too!

oogus311,

Little kids are time eaters, but time with them is so much fun. I recently went all grain on a 2.5 gal scale. I'm using a combo of methods from here to make my own procedure. I even upped one batch to 3.5 gallons by adding 1 lb of DME. I love the results. Your right, its a huge difference. I was considering an extract recipe recently, but the price hurt a little. That convinced me to stay with grains for most of the fermentables, then I can add in extra DME to either do a mini mash or a mini-mini mash.

As for kegs, I'm still up in the air on that one. The price is big. As of now, bottles are free. Obviously, my time is an issue though. So usually, my brew day begins during dinner, and concludes after the kids are asleep.

It's all good though. The beer has been great lately. I'm trying to convert one of the NB IPA recipes to mini mash right now. I'm hoping to buy that this weekend. Who out there invests in the bulk DME and if so, are you glad you made the choice to go bulk?

Just a note- Corrado's has really picked up it's act- there is a decent variety of base malts in 10lb bags, lots of 55lb bags, etc. Hops are even cheaper than what I see online a lot these days......It seems they intend to have our business. I'm almost scared that if everyone checks them out- they will sell out- but at least now I think they will actually reorder too.....and then things will be fresh!

They only have pale malt, honey malt and two others-(65-69 bucks if I remember right) Morris is only in 10 lbs- which is 15.99 or 16.99 for them- two bucks more than their 10lbs pale malt. Having really good deals and selections for sacks would have blown me right over- this place only had 1lb backs of grain for Years. I'm really glad that they are restocking etc.

I'm in New Jersey as well although I'm down south right outside of Atlantic City. I've gotten everything delivered to me so far but I just found a place in Turnersville called Beercrafters Inc. Anybody gone there? Is it any good?

Used to go to Beercrafters many years ago 10+ but got into kind of an argument with who I believe was the owner (I had a co-worker who knew him and he said his name was Fritz and described him). I went in to buy wine bottle corks that I had brought there before. For some reason he kept telling me he had no idea what I was talking about, never carried such a thing and kept telling me all he had were the cork stoppers with plastic caps. After 5 minutes of telling him I brought them there before and us both getting annoyed he pulled something out from behind the counter and said with stupid look "you mean these??" "Why would you want them when it’s easier to use the stoppers????" I told him "that is what I want" and he sold me them. Now maybe I called them something different but you would think he would have pulled out the corks long before we both got annoyed with each other. I buy on line now. They were ok before that, didn't have a whole lot back then as far as grain on display.
Have you been there yet?

. What are they getting for a sack of maris otter?

I lied they Do have Morris Otter, and it was $79.99 (Their most expensive by a little bit)
Is this better then down by you? Now that a buddy and I are doing similar recipes, sacks are something we need to get on'.

im a noob and just started out and got all my stuff (kit and ingredients) from beercrafters in turnersville. i think i know the owner you had your argument with. kind of a grouchy old man. but the other people that work there that i spoke to were very knowledgable and i got alot of help from them. they also have a nice supply of grains. dont know what other places have in comparison but there looked to be a wide variety. i used 4 kinds of grains on my first batch and that was just a small variety compared to what they had.

Quick note about Corrado's - very overpriced. I went their this weekend while visiting family, and it was geared toward wine, not beer. But the prices were high. What usually cost me $70 online (with free shipping from morebeer) cost me $90. It was nice that they have their high quality supermarket next door, where I found whole chamomile buds for $1 an oz. For a quick run it, they have it, but you will pay the price. Liquid yeast is $7.95 a vial.

Okay, I live in western Morris County and have had similar issues finding a homebrew shop in NJ. Now, I go to Keystone in Bethlehem, PA. http://www.keystonehomebrew.com/

They are well stocked and knowledgeable. Their prices are good for a local place, they can't compete with Internet prices. I've bought yeast and specialty grains from them and can't complain. They must sell a lot of yeast because it's always fresh.

It might be a little far for some of you coming from NE NJ, but compared to these other places I've seen mention here, it might be worth the trip.

I've been going there now instead of Internet for most of my items.

New LHBS, TAP IT HOMEBREW (Egg Harbor, NJ)
144 Philadelphia Ave
Egg Harbor, NJ 08215
(609) 593-3697

Haven't been there so I can't say anything about it other than they are advertising on CL

I'm in NW Morris County, I pretty much order online exclusively. I was using AHB for awhile, but usually use BMW due to their faster shipping, when ordering supplies. I was lucky enough to jump in on a bulk buy from the AG section here and have MO and 2-row stocked. Not enough time to brew it all!

I really dislike going to Corrados...besides the traffic and being a little ways away, they are def more geared to a wine making crowd. Besides, I gotta rehash the fact that they never have what I need. The food market is always worth stopping by when I have gone though.

Stopped in this weekend for the Grand Opening. Met the owners and had a good chat.

They are getting things together in the store. Only LHBS in Southern NJ that I am aware of.

Great location on Philadelphia Ave just a block or so north of the WHP. I will likely be a regular patron.

New LHBS, TAP IT HOMEBREW (Egg Harbor, NJ)
144 Philadelphia Ave
Egg Harbor, NJ 08215
(609) 593-3697

Haven't been there so I can't say anything about it other than they are advertising on CL

Wooooow this may be the best thing I have read on HBT to date. I hope they are decent!
(4 miles from work on the way home)

For you SOUTHERN NJ peopple: There is also Richland General Store in Richland, NJ. on Rt. 40....Beercrafters has closed since this thread started YEARS ago.

I was thinking of starting a HBS in Vineland. Any comments/input?

Would be good to find out how many brewers down your way. What would you do to make your store more unique than the existing ones?

Would be good to find out how many brewers down your way. What would you do to make your store more unique than the existing ones?

The fact that there are none (that I know of) in Cumberland/Salem/Cape May counties would make it unique.

Finding out how many homebrewers would be tough I would think. Any ideas how?

I live on Long Island and prefer Corrado's.
The nice thing about them, they always have new things coming in.
The other day they had 10 gal. glass demijohns with spigots drilled into them.

I was hoping to have 6 gallon carboys made with glass spigots made into them, but turns out you cant "weld" different types of glass together. The glass used for carboys isn't borosilicate.

Have you tried Karp's in Huntington or Arbor Wine in Islip too? Wondering what you would say as a comparison. I would imagine that travel time would be similar from Great Neck, but you wouldn't have to deal with city traffic and or bridges and tolls getting to Corrado's.

Prices aren't bad at Karp's although the selection is lacking. But I can get a 50lb bag of 2-row Briess for $50. Arbor is a bit more expensive but a much better selection. Same 50lb bag is $70 there. Just as examples.

I live in W Morris County and joined NJHOPZ this year. Seems that the Keystone Brewing place is popular with our club members. It is off 78 just into PA. I have bought yeast from Gaslight/ubrew. Yeast is always fresh, and they had the 3 liquid Wyeast strains I requested.

I live in South Jersey and a new brew shop opend up in Westmont called Brew Your Own Bottle. The owner seem pretty helpful and he seems To have a pretty good selection of stuff. Lots of different choices of grains, LME, DME, hops and yeasts. I am new to brewing and have not done a lot of price comparisons.

I'm not sure if you guys know, but Brewers Apprentice relocated and their shop is much larger and they seemed to have much more stock of everything compared to when they were on route 79.

Brewers Apprentice new place is nice, but the staffing levels are even worse than before, it seems. I've been in there 2x since the move and had to wait 30-40 minutes each time to get a question answered/make a purchase.

Not sure if its been mentioned, but Princeton Homebrew in Trenton is worth a visit. Always stocked and fresh, decent prices. Joe, the owner, is a great guy and always willing to help.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Brooklyn Homebrew. It is probably not the most convenient for some NJ people, but if you live or work near manhattan, it is not very deep in Brooklyn. It's a fairly easy subway trip or drive. It is small, but packed to the gills with stuff. They have everything I could ever ask for or need. The owners are great and helpful. Prices are average.... Not spectacular. But when you factor in the cost of NYC rent, they are doing a pretty damn good job of keeping the prices down.

http://www.ratebeer.com/Place/connecticut/monroe/maltose-express-home-brew-&-wine-supplies/1348.htm
Maltose Express is the best place I have seen so far. Good staffing helpful people price ok. Stock everything. In fact the owner wrote the book Clone Brews http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/160342539X/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It's an hour and 20 min from me but I call it a sunday drive and head out. Sometimes my fishing spots area about that same distance.

Corrados never have everything I'm looking for. I went in there looking for ingredients out of the how to brew book and had to substitute so much I came out brewing a different beer all together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if its been mentioned, but Princeton Homebrew in Trenton is worth a visit. Always stocked and fresh, decent prices. Joe, the owner, is a great guy and always willing to help.

+1, Joe is a great guy. I can e-mail him a recipe that I want to brew and he'll have it all ready for me crushed grains and all. He can talk your ear of though.:)

+1, Joe is a great guy. I can e-mail him a recipe that I want to brew and he'll have it all ready for me crushed grains and all. He can talk your ear of though.:)

-1 for Joe at princeton homebrew. He wont get my business again. PM for details

I was just at Corrados to get a better bottle and while they did have the bottle they didn't have jack for ingredients. It's been 2 weeks since I was there and they haven't replenished. They are sad, I wish I had the money to open a brew shop!

went to Corrado's today. very disappointed - no glass carboys and understaffed. took an eternity to have two quick questions about what they stock answered.

it turned into a complete waste of time.

corrados improved a lot in the past year...yet the manager is still wine focused. The last time i went they had a real good employe, but the girl runing the cashier wasnt the best. The employee might only work weekends.

I still dont understand why they dont fill up containers with base malts and invest in a scale and grinder and sell by the pound that way instead of just preweighed bags

I find the hop prices at Corrados to be reasonable and the last time I was there they had a decent selection of hops in stock. I'm piecing together a Dogfish Head 90 Extract recipe and I'll be picking up my Hops from them.

Their liquid yeast and DME prices are a little on the higher side but not outrageous by any means.

Corrado's is an absolute sham. They normally have one guy working there who isn't particularly knowledgeable or helpful. I always get a really strange feeling walking into that place, totally feels like it's a front for some other operation...

I'm from northern NJ and I don't know of any other LHBS's within the area. I end up ordering most of my stuff from Midwest, Austin, the usual. Although lately I've been working out of Rhode Island and hanging out at the Basement Brewhaus, great shop.

Yeah so I always end up being disappointed going to Corrado's. You're better off buying your ingredients online and having them delivered.

Back