Eisbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlee0000

Reaction score
I was thinking of making an Eisbock (considering it is 3 degrees outside right now). I used an ale yeast, so I'm pretty sure most of it will die during the freezing. I can always wash the yeast from the cake and repitch when I prime, right?

I was wondering if anyone else has tried this?

Hypothetically, of course, because its not legal, right? :cross:

You might want to transfer to a corny then freeze the beer.
I would not want to reuse the yeast if it ever froze. Second thing is freezing in glass could be a long bad day. Listen to the brewing network cast on Eisbock.

They recommend freezing one gallon out of the five. Shake the keg every hour until you hear a good amount of slush, then transfer into another keg.

I am looking at doing this in the next month or so myself.

Good luck!

I made an Eisbock already. What I did was ferment with a lager strain, transfer to a 6 gallon plastic bucket and then put the entire bucket outside. I would leave it there for about 12 hours or so, carefully remove as much ice crystals as possible, measure (to remove a certain amount-I started with a 7%, 5 gallon batch, removed 1.3 gallons to get ~10%). I repeated this process as much as needed to remove the 1.3 gallons. Then, I brought it in, warmed to room temp and pitched a high gravity ale yeast. And yes, this isn't legal in the US. Try following this link: http://***********/recipe/1450.html

Good luck!

Back