Sorghum - Is it a must use in Gluten Free?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tre6mafya

Reaction score
I had a question is sorghum a must use when brewing Gluten Free? My sister in law drinks GF beer but the sorghum taste really comes through is it a must use with GF brewing or can you use other products instead?

Nothing is a "must" when brewing! :fro: You can use any fermentable you want. However, if you ditch the sorghum, you may need some yeast nutrient.

Okay quick question would I add the yeast nutrients at the end of boil flameout or when pitching the yeast?

I normally add it when throwing the yeast in. I have added it afterwards too due to forgetting. Didn't make a difference. Can't honestly see why it would need to be added at 'flame out'...

If you are familiar with The Brewing Network, they did a reeeeeeally good show on GF beers a couple years ago. It definitely worth a listen.

thebrewingnetwork.com

Perfect we are going to do a gluten free batch this weekend without he sorghum since the taste is strange. I appreciate all the advice. I'll check out that brew show on the website as well

What are you using instead of Sorghum? If it is grain, what grain? Is it malted, or unmalted?

I add my nutrient when I add my Irish moss. Doesn't seem to make a difference. Every ingredient has a taste to it. The trick is working within the framework of what each provides. I think sorghum has been given a bad name because it doesn't work as a replacement for barley, however it stills makes a great base for an IPA and other styles. If this is your first brew I might suggest making a sorghum based beer so you can discern what it actually tastes like. Don't assume that Redbridge is the best that sorghum has to offer.

I was going to use brown rice syrup and d-180 dark candi instead of the sorghum, however I was told a great method to use sorghum to reduce the strange taste. I think since it is my first gluten free batch I will just go with the traditional sorghum. The brew store said they carried some stuff stat neutralizes the gluten in any brew it had a name close to chloroform but I know that's not it. Supposedly you could add that to your batch that contains gluten and it makes it gluten Intolerant safe. I'm skeptical though since my sis in law is a full blown celiac.

Thanks for the link and info this really helps alot. I appreciate all the help to make this batch of brew!!

If you add half the sorghum at flame out, you will not find the funny taste some find. I use sorghum as only half my fermentable also.

Clarity Ferm will REDUCE but not eliminate the proteins which are bad for celiac sufferers. I'd never chance it.

Back