"Other" uses for White Labs vials

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whippy

Reaction score
I would be surprised if this has never been a topic for discussion, but I can't find anything...

While doing a lot of nothing, I stumbled on this webpage that explains how to make glowsticks...it made me think that White Labs vials would make pretty nice little receptacles for the glowing solution!

Here's the article: White Labs vials

What are some other uses for these things? (besides storing yeast in)

Yeah, but how the heck do you get those labels off of there?? I've picked my poor little fingernails to death trying to remove them. :(

Hey, those tap handles are great! They remind me of those "In case of emergency, break glass" things! :)

I found just soaking them loosens the paper that it peels off. Leaving the adhesive and a layer of paper behind which can be removed with a little WD-40 and a rag/papertowel.

I drilled a small hole in the top of one and pushed the sensor for my Johnson Controller through it. Filled it with distilled water and hung it in my ferm chamber. Acts as a buffer for the heater control. Kind of like taping the sensor to the side of the fermenter with some insulation.

Store your pot in them or make a portable bong out of them.

Probably just violated a rule here but it was the first thing that came to mind :)

Well I'm all over the tap handles.
Maybe the sensor for the controller also. That would help even out the temp in the kegarator a bit since I wouldn't have to worry about it touching something that influences what it reads.

Brew-ta-sauraus said:
Soak the vial in warm water for an hour. You can then peel off the label. For the goo remaining soak the vial in PBW overnight or for a couple days the goo gets soft and rolls righ off the vial.

I put a glass of tap water in the microwave for three minutes and then submerged the vial in the hot water for another three minutes. The label comes right off. Then take some goo gone right after that to get the last bits hanging on. Ten minutes max and I was doing other things most of that time.

Back