quick question on my ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joehova44

Reaction score
I am going to dry hop my west coast ipa. So should I ...

1. 1 week primary and then dry hop for two to three weeks in secondary

2. 2 weeks in primary and then dry hop in secondary for 2 weeks

When is the best time to dry hop and how long should it be done for?

1 week primary, 1 week secondary, I wouldn't go over 10 days on the dry hopping.

Dry hop after primary fermentation is completely finished, roughly 10 days to allow as much of the yeast to flocc out as possible.

Personally, unless you are saving or washing your yeast, I would add your first addition and second addition to the primary, 1 week apart.

2 weeks in primary
Some people claim that, depending on hope variety, dry hopping for more than 10 days or so can lead to a grassy flavor. Haven't personally had the problem but there you have it

Not to start an argument,but the average brewer's beer will take a lot longer than 7 days to ferment down to FG & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then it'll be settled enough to dry hop 7-10 days. I put them in hop sacks too. You want it clear or nearly so,since the hop lupulins coat the settling yeast,& are gone.

naiek said:
2 weeks in primary
Some people claim that, depending on hope variety, dry hopping for more than 10 days or so can lead to a grassy flavor. Haven't personally had the problem but there you have it

Thanks that was the answer I needed!

Latest posts

Back