Flex gas line from valve to burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicadrick

Reaction score
Why is this stuff so darn expensive. I was at Lowe's yesterday and bought all the gas piping for my manifold, along with vales for just about $50. I went to by the flex to connect the valves to the burner and was blown away at the cost. $25 per flex. Why.

Is there an alternative to hard piping the gas lines? I have read that copper and sulfur in NG and LPG don't play well together.

Please advise.

Thanks!

That's why I hard piped mine. There are some online sources that are a little cheaper. But at that price there was no reason for me not to hard pipe it and it's still adjustable the way I mounted it. See Sig.

I'm not so sure on the LPG and copper issue. Most all RVs and homes are plumbed with copper for LPG systems. It's basically the standard propane plumbing material for hard lines. I would just see if I can find some of the flexible rubber hose such as the stuff your BBQ has on it.

Why is this stuff so darn expensive. I was at Lowe's yesterday and bought all the gas piping for my manifold, along with vales for just about $50. I went to by the flex to connect the valves to the burner and was blown away at the cost. $25 per flex. Why.

Is there an alternative to hard piping the gas lines? I have read that copper and sulfur in NG and LPG don't play well together.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Have you priced our hoses?

You can use copper with propane, but not with natural gas. The copper oxidizes with the air that is introduced through natural gas. With propane being under high pressure there is no air with it. You can use aluminum tubing with both.

You can use copper with propane, but not with natural gas. The copper oxidizes with the air that is introduced through natural gas. With propane being under high pressure there is no air with it. You can use aluminum tubing with both.

So is 3/8" flexible copper tubing with flare fittings a suitable material for a LP gas manifold on a brew stand? I'm just a to the point of building the manifold for my stand and have to choose a material. I already have some 3/8" copper and bunch of flare fittings in my shop and would prefer to use that over going out and buying iron pipe or premade hoses and their requisite fittings.

sounds small. might work fine for low pressure propane though.

If you mean the 3/8" copper I was asking about seems small, the ID of the copper is bigger than the ID on the gas hose coming off of the high pressure regulator to my turkey fryer burner. So, as I'm only going to be running one high pressure burner at a time on the brew stand I can't see why 3/8" wouldn't be big enough. My question really has to do the suitablity of copper as an LP gas distribution material and flare fitting to make safe leak proof seals.

you will be golden with the copper. i've seen it with other brew stands. a proper flare fitting will make a good seal, so i don't see where you can go wrong.

do you brew outdoors?

You might want to try searching for CSST (Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing) on ebay. Sometimes you can find guys selling remnants for pretty cheap...I think I got mine for around 1.25 per foot for 1/2". I tried to find the guy I bought mine from but it's been too long so it's not showing up in my history anymore. You'd have to buy the fittings for the ends too. A lot of the manufacturers have detailed installation instructions on their websites.

I have 9 LP lights, LP fridge, and LP stove at camp. All are connected with 3/8 copper tubing and flared fittings; and all will work off one tank (100lb) and one regulator at the same time with no problems in 29 years of use. I say use what you have, and change it later if you have any problem; but I doubt that you will. That is roughly 200+ feet of copper and one high pressure regulator I have at camp. Cheers:D

you will be golden with the copper. i've seen it with other brew stands. a proper flare fitting will make a good seal, so i don't see where you can go wrong.

do you brew outdoors?

Thanks for the input. I'm going the copper route then. Also, I brew exclusively outdoors to avoid any CO problems, which will also help on the off chance that I have a gas leak the first couple of runs as I check the fittings several times.

3/8" Copper tubing and single flare fittings on mine.

012212%2520010.jpg

Build list of fittings in my thread.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-first-single-tier-297314/

How can I buy just a couple feet or so of the flexible 3/8" copper tubing? Could someone post a link to a specific product I can order? I'm only finding 10' or more.

How can I buy just a couple feet or so of the flexible 3/8" copper tubing? Could someone post a link to a specific product I can order? I'm only finding 10' or more.

The big box stores only carry it in boxed rolls. I've seen many small harware stores like ACE or TruValue stores carry it by the foot. Good luck. Cooper is just so expensive right now!

that looks great Jjonesee.

i don't know that you can buy flex copper in less than 5' or even 10'. i thought lowes sold it in 5'

maybe you could use this

Why not just go to the propane supply store (ie the guys who deliver propane to stores and homes) they will make you custom flexible lines for far cheaper than those ugly yellow water heater hoses. and they will fit the ends with whatever combo of fittings you want. I got mine made up for 2 bucks per fitting and 1.50 per foot of hose. just an idea if you haven't gotten hoses already...

Back