No krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuinrearview

Reaction score
I made a quart starter Thurs. night with WLP550 for a Blond that I plan to brew today. It never formed a krausen, just continually bubbled at the surface. I could see it stirring inside, and this morning a good amount of yeast has settled. This is strange to me. Has anyone else had this happen with this strain?

I haven't had a starter yet that has had any krausen. It's not that uncommon. The fact that you have settling yeast, etc... means everything is fine.

I figured everything was ok because the population grew so much. Every started I've done has produced a head. Of course, they were all with WLP300 in my 75 degree kitchen :D Thanks!

It depends on your gravity. If I’m trying to build up yeast I make a higher gravity starter and ferment at higher temps (85 degrees). It forms a krausen every time. If I'm just making a starter to wake up the yeast my O.G. is 1.030 and it rarely forms a krausen unless I put it on the stir plate but then that might just be foam which I guess it technically krausen.

Latest posts

Back