Using a Beer Line Cleaning Kit on a QD Setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
When I got one of my co2 tanks and the regulator and stuff off of craigslist, there was some other stuff in the box---including a pump-style beer line cleaning kit. The problem, though, is that it's set up for a threaded disconnect---while all of my disconnects are ball-lock QD's. Is there a good way to jury-rig this thing to work on my QD's?

Unless I'm missing something, can't you just remove (cut, unclamp, whatever) the existing threaded connections, and clamp the lines onto ball-lock QD's instead?

Bike N Brew said:
Unless I'm missing something, can't you just remove (cut, unclamp, whatever) the existing threaded connections, and clamp the lines onto ball-lock QD's instead?

the lines running to the taps terminate with ball lock QD's. So if I were to do what you suggest, I'd be looking at trying to connect two female QD's to each other. If you know how that would work, I'm all ears. Otherwise, it seems like what I need would be some kind of way to have the cleaner line terminate in a male liquid post, so that it could clip right into the female QD on the end of the beer line.

Otherwise it means undoing the clamps on the QD's. Unless...unless I could unscrew the faucets and attach the cleaner to THAT end...???? hmmmm....:confused:

Those cleaning kits actually hook up to the faucet end - remove the faucet and hook up the tube on that side

gabeweisz said:
Those cleaning kits actually hook up to the faucet end - remove the faucet and hook up the tube on that side

awesome. I can't believe I didn't think of that earlier.

gabeweisz said:

+1. They are meant to connect to the shank in place of the faucet.

Evan! said:
the lines running to the taps terminate with ball lock QD's. So if I were to do what you suggest, I'd be looking at trying to connect two female QD's to each other. If you know how that would work, I'm all ears.

OK, I didn't understand at all what you were saying. But at least I got you bumped up, so more knowledgeable folks could help out ;)

Check out Kegconnection.com. You can get a conversion tailpiece to change from sanky to ball lock and back again in a hurry. This is how I do it. I have a cleaning pot with American Sankey, European Sankey, Guinness, Bass and German ports on it. I can put on what ever tap, ball lock etc... and clean.

I think the easiest way to use BLC is to make up a small ammount, put it in your keg, and run it through the lines that way. Then you are cleaning the internal portions of the dip tube and all the internal parts of your faucet as well.

Back