Show Me Your Wood Brew Sculpture/Rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Triple brew day on the Woodie. Rye PA, India PA, and a Bohemian Pilsner.

image-1726599077.jpg

Triple brew day on the Woodie. Rye PA, India PA, and a Bohemian Pilsner.

View attachment 78825

Howdy RCOLE.....Love this set up and very similar to where I would like to go. Only problem is that I am not too good at eye balling things and was wondering if you had any measurements, plans, details you could share?

Nice looking Rig....and a triple brew day....wow!

Howdy RCOLE.....Love this set up and very similar to where I would like to go. Only problem is that I am not too good at eye balling things and was wondering if you had any measurements, plans, details you could share?

Nice looking Rig....and a triple brew day....wow!

You really should tailor it to your own equipment.

Height of your BK burner plus height of your BK minus the height of the valve on your MLT = minimum height of your 2nd tier.

Height of your 2nd tier plus the height of your MLT minus the height of your HLT burner minus the height of the valve on your HLT = minimum height of your 3rd tier.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00264G584/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Was searching the web for propane burners and came across this. I think it might work well for a three tier brewing rig. I'd put my SS HLT on top, put my round cooler MLT in the middle, toss the jet burner in the middle and add a floor burner for my SS boil kettle. Could easily add some plywood to the bottom for a shelf. Thoughts? I can build a 2x4 version with the materials I have now but this is metal and already done.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00264G584/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Was searching the web for propane burners and came across this. I think it might work well for a three tier brewing rig. I'd put my SS HLT on top, put my round cooler MLT in the middle, toss the jet burner in the middle and add a floor burner for my SS boil kettle. Could easily add some plywood to the bottom for a shelf. Thoughts? I can build a 2x4 version with the materials I have now but this is metal and already done.

When I follow that link and scroll down a little there is a "Frequently bought together" section showing this item and a step drill. I suspect you are not the first homebrewer to notice this duel burner rig.

Last edited by a moderator:
LandoLincoln said:
You really should tailor it to your own equipment.

Height of your BK burner plus height of your BK minus the height of the valve on your MLT = minimum height of your 2nd tier.

Height of your 2nd tier plus the height of your MLT minus the height of your HLT burner minus the height of the valve on your HLT = minimum height of your 3rd tier.

Agreed. The only additional advice I would give is to not skimp on the wood and hardware. With 25 or more gallons of scalding liquids and hot grains, you don't want to risk a collapse. I recommend 4x4s and 2x6s tied together with lag bolts. And, don't buy cheap, undersized wheels.

Good luck.

Made mine yesterday. Still need to add some finishing touches. Also need a second burner and valves for the kettles.

2012-11-23_18-28-56_145.jpg

Agreed. The only additional advice I would give is to not skimp on the wood and hardware. With 25 or more gallons of scalding liquids and hot grains, you don't want to risk a collapse. I recommend 4x4s and 2x6s tied together with lag bolts. And, don't buy cheap, undersized wheels.

Good luck.

Check the weight rating on the wheels, and make sure they lock.

Here is a pic of my new stand. 3 tier gravity fed, with a milling station and fold out table. Oh ya and my brewing assistant just had to be in the pic!

IMG_0852.jpg

showdown496 said:
Thanks!! We had to have matching ones! The lady at the fabric store Really looked down upon me for making a beer apron for a 2 year old!

Seems like kind of a sexist attitude by the lady. She wouldn't have thought twice if the apron were for baking cookies, I suspect.

This was already on the other sculpture thread, I didn't know that there was a proper one too ;)
IMG_20121207_3543.JPG

IMG_20121122_3474.JPG

IMG_20121006_3305.JPG

IMG_20121119_3429.JPG

IMG_4777.JPG

cmon man, you went through all that masterful work and then you let a zombie label your appliances. wtf.

It's still work in progress ... I had 2 PID's on it at 1st place ... then the buttons were on the right side of the screen ... then I added the power control pot ... now I'm out of space in the enclosure, I need to build a new one. I really admire people whom are so sure of their design that they make all these fancy labels etc. :mug:

I think that I have never done a brew with exactly the same setup and I'm over 100 brews already :drunk:

I think my woodwork on this one is pretty average anyway. The next one will be the final build, I hope...

I hope you are not terminally ill! Final build?? It seems to me that, for most of us, our rigs continue to evolve as long as we have life in our bodies...

For a mobile unit :) I'm renting at the moment ... by the way, don't tell to our landlord what's going on in here.

This is my first post but I have been lurking this site for some time getting ideas for my brew rig. I started out with a Mr. Beer and just wanted to upgrade a little and get into AG but once I started I couldn't stop. This site sucks you in and makes you do things you didn't set out to do. It took me a year to build between my family, school and working out of town but it is done and will brew its first batch in the next couple days. Thanks to all the great builds out there for the ideas and motivation

SANY0086b.jpg

SANY0087b.jpg

SANY0093b.jpg

SANY0094b.jpg

NICE - I need a beer to prost on that built!

This is my first post but I have been lurking this site for some time getting ideas for my brew rig. I started out with a Mr. Beer and just wanted to upgrade a little and get into AG but once I started I couldn't stop. This site sucks you in and makes you do things you didn't set out to do. It took me a year to build between my family, school and working out of town but it is done and will brew its first batch in the next couple days. Thanks to all the great builds out there for the ideas and motivation

Wow kerschup that's awesome. Can you share some details about it? Definitely a home run on the "little upgrade".

Sorry about the "little upgrade" comment. I didn't mean to say this was a little upgrade, what I meant was that all I wanted was a little upgrade but after looking at many different builds I ended up going overboard and building this. The HLT and BK are gas and the MLT is rims. I tried to keep everything very neat and contained inside the cabinet. The connectors on the side are to the CFC which is mounted underneath as you can see in one of the pictures. I used garden hose quick connects from lowes. One port is water in, one is water out and the third is the cooled wort.

Shutupjojo, Hood looks very nice. What type of lighting are you using inside the hood and how are they holding up to the moisture? Happy New Year, Castermmt

image-759369240.jpg

Brew day two on my first all grain system. Northern brewers Irish red ale.

Rcole said:
Your setup looks good.

Btw for anyone using a Bayou Classic banjo (I have the KAB4) as is (vs just the burner mounted to a frame) With a Keggle, I HIGHLY recommend doing this mod: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/modding-kab4-6-a-259864/. I did mine before this session and WOW. I barely cranked up the burner otherwise the flames were creeping out past the sides. Did not do a measurement on efficiency difference but I bet I used half the usual propane. And my sight glass did not boil like it has in the past. Definitely a worthwhile mod for anyone using this burner in floor standing mode, with a keggle.

itzkramer said:
My BIAB rig.

Hand crank.
2x2 tube steel with wood shelves.

Monster chiller. Did you make it or buy it? My 25' is not cutting it with a 10 gallon batch in the keggle.

Back