American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yooper said:
I got my 2012 amarillo hops, so I'm brewing this again tomorrow. I have some WLP001 that is just crying out to be used.

Do tell! I'm seeing December from a bunch of places on availability.

Thanks, Yooper, for the advice a while back on using alternative malts to TF. This was my first AG version of your recipe and while I had a couple of hiccups, I really enjoyed what victory malt and Pacman yeast brought to the finished product. I still am on the hunt for TF amber to see if it takes this beer to the top. Thanks, again!

.75 Warrior hops 16.4% AA (60 minutes) SEE NOTES ON HOPPING!
.50 Amarillo Gold 8.5% (35 minutes)
.50 Simcoe 12% (30 minutes)
.50 Simcoe 12% Dry hop
1.00 Amarillo Gold Dry hop
Irish Moss ( 1 tsp with 15 minutes left in the boil)

Continuous hopping! Add 1/2 the warrior at 60 minutes and then add a little at a time until 35 minutes. AT 35 minutes, mix the amarillo and simcoe together and add a little at a time until you are at 0. Try to time the additions so that you end up with a few hops still at 0 minutes.

If I understand the hop schedule correctly, it would be?

-.38 Warrior @ 60 minutes
-.38 Warrior continuiously added until 35 minutes
-.50 Simcoe and .50 Amarillo combined and continuiously added for the remaining 25 minutes

-.50 Simcoe and 1oz of Amarillo Dry Hop

If I understand the hop schedule correctly, it would be?

-.38 Warrior @ 60 minutes
-.38 Warrior continuiously added until 35 minutes
-.50 Simcoe and .50 Amarillo combined and continuiously added for the remaining 25 minutes

-.50 Simcoe and 1oz of Amarillo Dry Hop

.50 simcoe and .50 amarillo continuous hopping for the remaining 35 minutes - you have it for 25.

I brewed this once as an extract version. Loved it! I've now moved to AG. This will be my 3rd AG batch and I'm looking forward to it. Although last time I brewed this, I lost a lot of volume to hops and such. What would I have to do to get 5.5 gallons in the fermenter? I've also been having low efficiency out of the mash. I have more than enough hops and grains in my inventory to do this batch, so the question is would i scale up my grain bill slightly to account for the low efficiency and scaling up 1/2 gallon?

steber said:
I brewed this once as an extract version. Loved it! I've now moved to AG. This will be my 3rd AG batch and I'm looking forward to it. Although last time I brewed this, I lost a lot of volume to hops and such. What would I have to do to get 5.5 gallons in the fermenter? I've also been having low efficiency out of the mash. I have more than enough hops and grains in my inventory to do this batch, so the question is would i scale up my grain bill slightly to account for the low efficiency and scaling up 1/2 gallon?

Use a 5 gallon paint strainer bag for the hops, mash lower or longer to get better efficiency. Try 4oz acid malt to help efficiency as well. Just some suggestions.

Hello all. First Post. Been registered and reading for awhile. Alot of great info. Thanks folks.

Was looking at using this recipe to clone DFH60IPA and recently picked up a sixer of this great beer (haven't had it in awhile). The aroma that I am getting has a distinct onion/garlic smell along with the citrus. This obviously wouldn't be accurate with the Amarillo, but maybe the Simcoe?? I am pretty new to homebrewing (couple years) and never brewed a batch with Simcoe. But from what I have read it is typically more piney?? Am I getting the onion-esque aroma from the Simcoe?? Thoughts?

Hello all. First Post. Been registered and reading for awhile. Alot of great info. Thanks folks.

Was looking at using this recipe to clone DFH60IPA and recently picked up a sixer of this great beer (haven't had it in awhile). The aroma that I am getting has a distinct onion/garlic smell along with the citrus. This obviously wouldn't be accurate with the Amarillo, but maybe the Simcoe?? I am pretty new to homebrewing (couple years) and never brewed a batch with Simcoe. But from what I have read it is typically more piney?? Am I getting the onion-esque aroma from the Simcoe?? Thoughts?

I never got onion from simcoe. It's definitely pine/citrus/resin. The only hop variety I can think of that gives off onion aroma seems to be summit.

Summit gives onion and tangerine, which is very weird to me!

Amarillo is 100% grapefruit to me.

I haven't had a 60 in a few months but I don't remember an onion aroma.

For what it is worth, I have Sam's Extreme Brewing book which has some of DFH recipes in it. Granted he most likely didn't give the exact recipe but Yooper's 60 and the 60 recipe in the book are extremely close. Amber malt instead of crystal. The same three hops are used. Slightly different hopping schedule but very close.

Drinking a dfh60 right now along side a Bells 2HA and I am getting the "onion" aroma from the DFH. I wonder if it is the "catty" aroma that some people associate with Simcoe, or if they are using Columbus for bittering? Columbus sometimes has a onion/garlic aroma for me. I also think the amber malt may combine with the simcoe to give the sharper nose? Still tasty though!

What's interesting to me is that they both have huge hop flavor, especially the two hearted ale. The hop aroma is prominent, but the hop flavor is much bigger.

I think I may have mentioned this already in this thread somewhere. But I was at the DFH brewpub a few months ago and the beer sheet says that 60 minute has palisade hops in it. More specifically, it said warrior, Amarillo and palisade.

Hi all,

I am planning on brewing the extract version of the recipe on page one of this thread tomorrow and I had a question.

I had previously read that there are some benefits from adding only part of the LME at the start of the boil and then adding the rest at flame out...

Is that technique a good or a bad idea for a continuous hopped process?

If good, is half at the beginning and half at the end about right?

Thanks for any advice!

Jeff

Hi all,

I am planning on brewing the extract version of the recipe on page one of this thread tomorrow and I had a question.

I had previously read that there are some benefits from adding only part of the LME at the start of the boil and then adding the rest at flame out...

Is that technique a good or a bad idea for a continuous hopped process?

If good, is half at the beginning and half at the end about right?

Thanks for any advice!

Jeff

That's a good idea. You can add half at the very end, and that should work out great.

sparksanthony said:
Found this clone recipe awhile back on brew365. Seems to be more in line with what you are saying brew2. Interesting hop schedule...

http://www.brew365.com/hops_simcoe.php

FWIW....This Recipe Appeared in the March-April 2006 edition of BYO Magazine

Interesting. I must say, I've brewed this recipe twice and while it is definitely produces a great beer, there is "something " missing. Perhaps the hop schedule is missing something. I think the 2 row/amber malt grain bill is correct though.

I think I may have mentioned this already in this thread somewhere. But I was at the DFH brewpub a few months ago and the beer sheet says that 60 minute has palisade hops in it. More specifically, it said warrior, Amarillo and palisade.

Yep..found something on their website, didn't mention warrior, but...

http://www.dogfish.com/restaurant/menus/brews-whats-on-tap.htm

60 Minute IPA, 6% abv

Continuously & intensely hopped. A session I.P.A. brewed with Palisade & Simcoe hops. A powerful East Coast I.P.A. with a lot of citrusy hop character. The session beer for hardcore beer enthusiasts!

Has anyone tried brewing this with Palisades??

Yooper, do you ever get annoyed by people asking specific brewing technique related questions in this recipe thread? Obviously, it's a very popular recipe, and many people are brewing very early in their brewing careers. So they end up asking questions that are off topic to the recipe and could be answered with a quick search or by reading up on brewing.

Has anyone moved the 60 min addition to a fwh? If so what were the results? Might consider it when I brew this weekend

My second brew was a 60 Minute IPA kit from Xtreme Brewing which used Palisade. Side by side, it tasted very Dogfish like. [OTOH, my non-auto siphon let too much hops in the bottles, an experience that got me googling and finding HomeBrewTalk.)

My current brew (not yet tasted) is a variation of BYO 60 Minute, with tamarind and mostly leftover hops, but I did buy an ounce of Palisade.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/60-minute-tamarindia-ale-359337/

Just ordered all of the ingredients to make this brew.. My first AG. Noob question here.. What temp should I keep it at while it's fermenting?

Yooper, do you ever get annoyed by people asking specific brewing technique related questions in this recipe thread? Obviously, it's a very popular recipe, and many people are brewing very early in their brewing careers. So they end up asking questions that are off topic to the recipe and could be answered with a quick search or by reading up on brewing.

I just saw this question so sorry for the delay in answering.

No, I never get annoyed by people asking questions. That's how we all learn, but others asking questions. It's a long thread, with lots of posts to wade through, and it can be confusing to someone not well acquainted with brewing techniques, so no I never mind.

1st I wanted to congratulate Yooper on an excellent recipe. 5 stars. This is also in the top 5 of all views & replies on HBT! Considering the number of different submissions, time frame HBT has been up, and # of folks here, this is quite the achievement! :fro: My Clone Brews book has almost the exact Dogfish Head recipe, but with slight variations. Yooper, you are still The Man!

I Choose You!
pikachu_with_pokeball_by_shiroiwolf.jpg

Proof is in the pudding for me, I brewed this & it came out fantastic! :rockin:

Now, my question is about the color. Pictures tell the tale:

Yuri Rage has posted his. 1 post he describes an extract, the next he describes all grain. The picture itself in a different post does not contain an exact description of what method he used. I can only assume extract since I previously used extract & got the same color.

4688-dfhcomparison.JPG

Next Cranny04 posts his beer. I can only guess this color is due to his using all grain.

73148d1345918843-dogfish-head-60-minute-clone-ag-extract-image-1466276203.jpg

Now Beersmith has this on their webpage:

Extract brewers need to be aware that liquid extracts in particular tend to get darker as they age, and also that extracts will darken in a process called carmelization as they boil. I wrote an article on how to use late extract additions to reduce this effect. The net result of the aging and boiling effect is that many extract beers come out substantially darker than an estimate would indicate

Adjusting the Color of a Recipe
o Select the recipe you want to use either by opening it or selecting it from your My Recipes view
o Select the Adj Color button on the ribbon
o The scales will show the old and new color levels as well as the style range (graphically and numerically) for the style guide chosen for this recipe
o Enter your new color and press OK to adjust the color

At the risk of making a huge blunder.................................

Since I'm just a newbie, help!? If I simply adjust the amounts of grain in the 2 types you include, to get my desired color, will that change the taste of the beer significantly? I want to go all-grain & dark color.

Am I working too hard? Should I just stay with a proven method? If it ain't broke, don't fix it?!

Since I'm just a newbie, help!? If I simply adjust the amounts of grain in the 2 types you include, to get my desired color, will that change the taste of the beer significantly? I want to go all-grain & dark color.

Am I working too hard? Should I just stay with a proven method? If it ain't broke, don't fix it?!

Yes, if you adjust the amber malt to enough to impact the color, then yes, you'd change the flavor. Amber malt has a "biscuity" flavor that is dry in the finish, and it's noticeable in even a 6 ounces amount so I wouldn't increase that.

If you really really want a darker color, you could add two ounces of carafa special III to the mash, or sinimar. Those would make a color difference without a flavor impact.

Geez................ you guys! And gals! I even put it in italics...........................

The typed word doesn't convey each meaning I guess. Even when I think I'm being overly clear, I'm not. My bad. Learning experience.

Thank you. :p

I brewed a second batch very close to this recipe for a second time. I split the batch and pitched Nottingham(pic on left) and Thames Valley(used this on my first batch). I pitched these last night and you can see the difference already. Used a two stage started for my washed Thames and a normal activation with the Nottingham. I plan on using frozen water bottles to keep fermentation temp in the low 60's at least the first week or so during active fermentation.

Excited to try these side by side and compare the yeasts!!

60min.jpg

Latest posts

Back