my first

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mexBrew

Reaction score
My beautiful Caribou Slobber from Northern Brewer! My grandmother used to brew beer all the time. Now I've picked it up and here is my first. It's only been five days so far and I thoroughly enjoy checking my carboy every day.

ForumRunner_20120903_192300.jpg

It has begun!:rockin: I too enjoy checking on my fermentors regularly. I especially enjoy the relaxing sound of a blow off tube chugging away. There's something very relaxing about it. That's really cool that your grandmother use to brew. You should see if there are any recipes that she had. Welcome to the hobby. :mug:

So I just moved the slobber to secondary. Smells and tastes like beer, a little weak tasting but i feel that is simply because i am not used to drinking flat beer. 1.023 gravity. I just bought my hydrometer today and a summer wheat kit that was on "sale."

ForumRunner_20120907_223626.jpg

Ok just brewed my second beer. It is the summer ale I wrote about. Here they are side by side. I love the color difference!

ForumRunner_20120908_221613.jpg

My kreusen on the summer ale is just about gone now. The caribou slobber is nice dark and resting in the secondary.just about gone through my blue moon pumpkin ale from the store.i'm gonna buy some shipyard pumpkin head next.by the time i'm done that bottling day will have come and gone! I can't wait!

There is a new love brewing in those fermenters! I know when I brewed my first batch I new I was hooked so I brewed my second batch the next day. They only get better and you have more fun each time.

My beautiful bottles! 42 in all!

ForumRunner_20120922_214413.jpg

ForumRunner_20120922_214359.jpg

Now they can rest peacefully for a couple of weeks before the first carbed tasting.

Oh boy I remember my first brew ironically I'm smiling like an idiot while typing this. Beer has become my other child I literally treat it like part of my family with tons of attention. I say all this because with your first beer your already doing what most of us do ie. sniffing the airlock, watching the Krausen and yeast swarm around the Carboy during heavy fermentation, checking gravitates, temperatures, spending hours here on hbt, days on brewing software tweaking out recipes, finding new ways to reinvent the brewing "wheel" summed up welcome to the addiction and btw your beer looks great !!

thank you for the comments everyone! so I moved my summer ale to the secondary! and then I got a little impatient and paranoid that my first batch wasn't carbonated... so after only 5 days conditioning I thought I open 1.... I was fully expecting it wouldn't be perfect because I know I didn't wait to 2 weeks however I was greeted by a pleasant pssst noise. the carbonation when I opened the bottle. I refrigerate a bottle of course before opening it and I must say after only 5 days it smelled and tasted amazing. I truly am now obsessed and in love with doing this and I can't wait to see how this continues to get better over time. and yeah I definitely need to buy official beer mugs.. .

ForumRunner_20120927_123552.jpg

I was fully expecting it wouldn't be perfect because I know I didn't wait to 2 weeks

I would encourage you to wait at LEAST 2 weeks, though 3 has been better for me. In the end, your beer (especially this style) will for sure taste better the longer you let it sit. I predict you'll find it good after 2 weeks, really good at 4-5 weeks, and about the time you're finishing the last one, you'll wish you'd waited, as it's only gotten better. Mark my words.

BTW: Welcome to the obsession!

Back