Nut Brown Ale -First attempt at original recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doppelstocked

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Very new at home-brewing here. I jumped straight into AG, because, hey, why not?

With a couple of brews under my belt now, I'm looking to create my first recipe from scratch, and I was hoping I could get some pointers, comments, etc. on my first attempt. It's going to be a nut brown ale (hopefully).

9lb Maris Otter Pale
1.5lb Victory
.5lb English Brown
.5lb Roasted Barley

1oz EKG 60min
.5oz Fuggles 15min

Wyeast English Ale (1355)

What do you think? Any glaring errors? Appreciate any help (and encouragement)!

I would probably swap out the roasted barley for some chocolate malt or crystal (same quantity.) May just be personal preference, but roasted barley may give this more of a porter/stout quality than a nut brown.

And the following is definitely personal preference, but I would toss in an extra 1/2oz of Fuggles somewhere. Just because that 1/2oz in your recipe would be lonely :)

I don't care for roasted barley in a brown ale, but if you want to go with it, I would cut it back - maybe 4oz. Of course, you could brew it as it is and see how it tastes, but I wouldn't consider it a brown ale with that much roasted in it.

Back