Brewhemoth conicals?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brew to keg.

brewtokeg.jpg

Nice! Mine should mail out any day now. They've had a few backups, but I havn't gotten my valves yet so that's ok.

Can anyone give me th outside dimentions of the brewhemoth including stand? I want to make sure I get the right size fridge to put it in. Thanks in advance!

The site lists it as 50" tall and 16" diameter, but I'll measure mine when I get home, it seems taller.

Mine stands closer to 51" and from side handle to side handle is 19" across. pretty close. I'm thinking about getting some locking castors for mine so I can roll it around full without too much trouble.

They can be ordered with adjustable legs, which will become standard as our old stock runs out, so the height can be lowered.
I would not advise casters, filled it is heavy, and we make no garentees with after market changes.

Are there any concerns with the weight when putting the fermenter in the fridge? Those of you who put thier Brewhemoth in the fridge do you add some sort of plate to the bottom of the fridge so the legs don't bust through the bottom?

Good to know, the castors were only a thought. I just ordered my valves and such this morning, so with any luck I can put a brew in it next weekend!

Good to know, the castors were only a thought. I just ordered my valves and such this morning, so with any luck I can put a brew in it next weekend!

What's wrong with making a piano moving style frame with humps for the casters, keeping the ferm legs down low to the ground plus secured to the frame at each leg?
No single leg pulled or strained, able to roll around plus the same height as original after removing the levelers installing a bolt thru the castered frame upwards.

I will probably confine it to a fridge when I get a house. The casters were just a thought for rolling it around the apt when guests visit and I'm forced to hide my beauty. There are a number of things I could do to reinforce the legs (weld x frame supports in, etc) but I don't wanna put too much strain on the bolts and break it outta the gate, so I'll just let it be (for now)

Are there any concerns with the weight when putting the fermenter in the fridge? Those of you who put thier Brewhemoth in the fridge do you add some sort of plate to the bottom of the fridge so the legs don't bust through the bottom?

Mine is in an upright freezer and has been for the past few months... don't have anything on the floor of the freezer and haven't had any problems thus far.

What's wrong with making a piano moving style frame with humps for the casters, keeping the ferm legs down low to the ground plus secured to the frame at each leg?
No single leg pulled or strained, able to roll around plus the same height as original after removing the levelers installing a bolt thru the castered frame upwards.

I agree. The nuts holding the original levelers aren't much better than tack welded on, so I can see why Dale would recommend against casters with the legs as is. But a bolt on triangular dolly should work just fine and is what I'll be doing.

I agree. The nuts holding the original levelers aren't much better than tack welded on, so I can see why Dale would recommend against casters with the legs as is. But a bolt on triangular dolly should work just fine and is what I'll be doing.

Which version do you have with how were the legs attached?

I call the first ferms as series one having SS angle welded in three locations up the side of the ferm body starting at the cone to body transition on up two more welds. This as six welds each angle SS leg.
Series two legs welded at one location only at the cone to body transition.
I fear this will flex and fail if not treated carefully.
Series three looks like studs welded up or spot welded to the body sides with square tube and acorn nuts.
Series three should you yank the legs a bunch I bet the welded (spot?) studs will eventually fatigue the body metal and cause a crack, tear and a failure just my thinking.
Faster with less labor for increased production how I see it.
Bottom line the strongest leg ferms look to be JMO the "Series" one having six welds at each SS angle material leg. I also have a series one Brewhemoth.
I bet your not too far away from Muroc Dry lake as well El Mirage Dry lake with the LSR runs which begin June 12th?

I have a series 3 brewhemoth. The studs are tig welded on and seem pretty solid, but the legs are just mild steel C-channel with a nut welded on the bottom. I'm not confident in the strength of the nuts on the bottom, especially if you wanted to screw in a caster.

I'm in the low desert, but still a couple hours away from the dry lakes. Haven't gone to the LSR trials yet, but its on my list.

Damn bro you got to go to speed week at Bonneville, motorhome the best way.
It's in the family blood dad in the 40's, myself and my son all gearheads and racers.

Now the series thing name I made up typing earlier, I may have tagged a wrong version vs Dale or Josh would call them.
I have plans for my ferm to be modified to my liking and features.

how are these conicals? Are they round? I was planning on one of these in a couple of months, but the penrose kettles I ordered have me a bit leary.

What do you mean "are they round"? Are conicals any other shape? I admittedly have been drinking all night but I am confused by your question...

I emailed the carboy cleaner company, and it looks like the large cleaner (44cm) might work on the brewhemoth. If I don't win the contest (probably) I'm gonna get one and see. This seems like it might be the easiest, most economic way for those of us with space limitations to clean the brewhemoth. I'll let you guys know how it works. I'm hoping to brew in it next weekend, if not it'll be a couple more weeks till I have time.

What kind of fridge/freezers you guys using to fit this beast? I an having a hard time finding one 55" high on the inside. What's th cf?

I'm in GA, and my brewshed is at 85 degrees best even with ac, so I don't think the cooling coils will help. Hence the fridge. Any ideas?

FYI

I purchased an upright freezer for my fermentation chamber.

It is a Kenmore 20.6 cu. ft. (2805)
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04628052000P?prdNo=6&blockNo=6&blockType=G6

Note: It's common for Sears to offer sales at 30% off throughout the year. I waited for that before I purchased.

I used the DYI aquarium controller I bought on eBay
http://shop.ebay.com/sis.html?_kw=M...ntroller+Thermostat+Aquarium&_id=290528030743

And...

I bought two mini Dehumidifiers (I think I could have gotten by with one)
Eva-Dry EDV-E-500

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H0XFD2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you mean "are they round"? Are conicals any other shape? I admittedly have been drinking all night but I am confused by your question...

well, I have two penrose kettles sitting in my garage at the moment, from brewhemoth, that I also would have assumed would be "round". They are not. And the bottom wasn't flat either. That's why I was asking how their conicals are.

My Brewhemoth is great! Quality is top notch. I can't say enough good things about mine.

I don't own their kettle, but your kettles don't sound that great. Post some pics. That might help so we can make sure we understand your expectations. Besides I was thinking about ordering one a my kettle is only 10 gallons.

anthropod said:
FYI

I purchased an upright freezer for my fermentation chamber.

It is a Kenmore 20.6 cu. ft. (2805)
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04628052000P?prdNo=6&blockNo=6&blockType=G6

Note: It's common for Sears to offer sales at 30% off throughout the year. I waited for that before I purchased.

I used the DYI aquarium controller I bought on eBay
http://shop.ebay.com/sis.html?_kw=Mini+Digital+Temperature+Controller+Thermostat+Aquarium&_id=290528030743

And...

I bought two mini Dehumidifiers (I think I could have gotten by with one)
Eva-Dry EDV-E-500

Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H0XFD2

How well does it fit in there? Can it fit even with a valve on the sample/transfer port?

Last edited by a moderator:
It fits very well. Plenty of space. The light is my heat source for the winter... But we have already hit 100 so it will be a long time before that kicks on. :)

image-581326325.jpg

Here's mine, no concerns with quality of welds or anything, I've been to several local breweries lately and looked closely at their fermentor welds, and they look similar to this.
brewhemoth.jpg

The site lists it as 50" tall and 16" diameter, but I'll measure mine when I get home, it seems taller.

My ferm from top of bare 4" TC to floor is 38 3/4" that will become 35 1/2".
I must allow room for 90 degree top fittings, being short allows me more options with smaller and shorter refrigerators.

....what shape are they?

oval. You measure one way, and it's 15" in diameter. Measure another way and it's 16 1/2". We've tried to persuade them back, but have not had much luck. This has made getting lids, that don't cost 25 bucks or more a piece, a bit of a PITA to locate. At the moment, the best/cheapest route I can come up with inverted pizza pans. Not quite what I wanted, but I've also spent quite a bit on other pieces of my rig already, another 75 dollars worth of lids I was not planning/want to spend.

Has anyone that ordered their Brewhemoth on or after April 21, 2011 received ship confirmation yet? Mine is still in process. The last update I got was that there was some machine availability issues and they were waiting to have some more parts made, I see online that the standard Brewhemoth is out of stock. My new expected ship date is on or around June 4. I have all my fittings from St Pats for a couple of weeks so I guess I will kill some time working on a ferm chamber. I will post pictures of it as soon as it arrives. I had it customized with adjustable legs, two 1.5 tri-clover ports at top (one on each side of the 4" top) and a 1.5" tri added at bottom for thermowell. I have an idea of rigging up an element to the bottom tri and using it to boil a small amount of water in the bottom as sterilization technique (of course without pressurization). St pats also had Beer shank threaded triclovers that have different fittings available such as barbed fittings, and Gas fittings... If anyone has an idea to get an element rigged up to a tri-clamp I am all ears.

oval. You measure one way, and it's 15" in diameter. Measure another way and it's 16 1/2". We've tried to persuade them back, but have not had much luck. This has made getting lids, that don't cost 25 bucks or more a piece, a bit of a PITA to locate. At the moment, the best/cheapest route I can come up with inverted pizza pans. Not quite what I wanted, but I've also spent quite a bit on other pieces of my rig already, another 75 dollars worth of lids I was not planning/want to spend.

Interesting problem with the Penrose. I have been considering them also. The hold up for me was that they do not come with lids, now to find out that they are not round. Well that makes it even harder to buy them.

Is the bottom round? If so maybe they could be persuaded with a ratchet strap, and some prying.

oval. You measure one way, and it's 15" in diameter. Measure another way and it's 16 1/2". We've tried to persuade them back, but have not had much luck.

The pot bottoms must be cut round on a rotary cookie cutter it would be labor intense to go thru the trouble cutting them into oval.
What condition did the shipping box look like, sounds like it was sat on or stacked in shipping? You received it without looking at it from UPS? My driver stayed and watched me remove the ferm from the box making sure it was ok.
My Brewhemoth ferm came very well protected for shipping.
I would seriously doubt Dale and Josh would ship a product looking as you stated. I would be be calling them first documenting your problem before flexing the top section round again incase you you mess it up, CYA your end.
My thinking it's a simple fix from working with aircraft sheetmetal years ago.

I ended up going to speedy metal and getting some sheet SS that I lay on top, however the more I brew with the penrose kettles the more I find I dont use lids at all. Here is a pic of my setup with the lids on top.
IMG_0030.jpg
I have to say that I love my Kettles as well as my brewhemoth, So much so I am planning on adding another brewhemoth shortly.

Back