Perfecting an extract IPA (bulk ordering advice needed)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoubleGator

Reaction score
So, I've been on an IPA drinking kick for about a year now, and I can't get enough. Stone's, Two Hearted, DFH 60 and 90, Cigar City's, and anything else I can get my hands on. Brewed my first one around X-mas time and my hydro taste samples have been great.

Anyway, here's my question:

I want to exclusively brew IPA's for a few months and perfect a go to recipe that suites my tastes and am looking for some bulk ordering advice. I will get specialty grains from my LHBS, but want to order DME or LME in bulk (enough for like ~5 5 gallon batches to be brewed about once a month) and order a bunch of whole leaf hops (a few lbs probably).

I used some extra light LME and some light DME for my first IPA, what does everyone prefer and recommend for a lighter colored IPA (think Stones)? A mix of the two? All DME?

For hops, I like a citrusy and floral quality (like the cascades I've used), but just had an awesome super-hopped red ale that used solely Simcoe at a local brewery. Do y'all recommend sticking with a single hop and perfecting the additions and amounts or using some tested combination?

For yeasts, what are some personal favorites that you folks use?

Thanks for all the help once again.

You can't go wrong with WLP001 or Wyeast1056 or US-05 for IPAs, in my opinion...

Just stick with extra light DME, and use steeped specialty grains (like crystal 60L) to help with color adjustments.

For hops, I'd look at getting a couple varieties, at least. Columbus, Chinook, or Centennial are good choices for bittering hops; and they compliment citrusy flavor/aroma hops like Cascade....

The Two-Hearted clones use Centennial for everything. Stone is purported to be a mix of Warrior (for bittering) and Cascade....

Check out the IPA recipes here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/

Use light LME or DME. Whichever you find cheaper. I get LME from my LHBS, $60 for 33 lbs (Briess). Ask them what they can get for you.

Use specialty grains or partial mash to get color and malt flavor.

Arrogant Bastard is all Chinook. Stone is all Centennial. SNPA is all Cascade. SN Torpedo is Citra. All these hops can be used for both bittering and finishing. Amarillo is dual use too. Buy a pound of several, and you can use them alone, or mixed.

I just bought several pounds of hops; Bravo, Centennial, Cascade, Citra, Columbus, and I have a lot of Chinook and Amarillo ........ Looks like a lot of American PAs and IPAs in my future too.

I like PacMan. Neutral American yeast, attenuates well, and ferments low (down to 48 F).

i just did a stone ipa clone, my attempt, yesterday. i used Extra Light DME from LHBS and added some specialty grains at 155 for 60 mins. i used 10L which wont add much color at all. stones IPA is very light in color. 45 min boil on 1 oz of magnum 15 min boil on 1 oz cenn and .25 oz magnum at flame out.
i have 1 oz cenn for a dry hop..

i toured stone two weeks ago and these are what they where using for the IPA. when i asked they said yes but they change. I call BS on that but whatever.

also northern brewer cares bulk DME for a decent price. just check shipping.

Cant go wrong with White Labs 001. very nice yeast

I did a clone of dogfish head 90 minute that turned out awsome!!! It had a can each of muntons hopped and unhopped light malt extract plus 2lbs of extra light dme. The hops were Centennial, Williamette, Amarillo, and Cascade.

I also did an all cascade IPA which was great as well.

I use mostly Nottingham yeast but some Safeale-05. Haven't had a problem with either.

Check morebeer.com for bulk pricing, they are the cheapest I've found.

Hey DoubleGator, I'm late to this party but if you want to play with citrus/floral in your IPAs I recommend stock Columbus, Simcoe, Cascade, & Centenial. (You can also add any other neutral bittering hop.)

I'm drinking a grapefruit IPA homebrew right now that was hopped: Simcoe 60 min, Amarillo 15 min, Cascade 10 min, Amarillo/Cascade 5 min, Amarillo/Cascade flameout, Amarillo/Cascade dryhop 4 days. Carbonate on the high side (2.75-2.9 volumes) & drink them young before the hops start to fade If you really like the citrus/floral hop burst.

Visit all the local LHBs and ask about price on a 50lb bag of DME. A 50lb bag will fit in 2-5gallon buckets or 3-4gallon (4 gallon are free from your local grocery bakery dept if you show up on the right day.) DME will store a year or more if dry/room temp. . .make sure your bucket has a gasketed lid. . . DME sucks humidity right out of the air ("hygroscopic.")

For yeast I second US-05 & Nottingham. Ferment them to the cool end of the range and the yeast will stand back and let your hops/malt profile shine. Finally, FWIW go light on your steeping grains. I had to cut back, cut back until I learned 5% or less of the malt bill (crystal, victory, etc.)

Have fun, brewing IPAs is a blast! Drinking them is even better! :mug:

Do you have that Grapefruit IPA recipe? Sounds awesome.

These all sound so good. Guess I'm going to have to brew them all haha.

Back