fermenting sugar water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paulczak

Reaction score
So I was thinking about trying something new here... The thinking is to take 18 lbs of white table sugar and ferment it with a turbo yeast to get an 18% swing appropriate for mixing into other things.

Is it necessary to do anything to this prior to consumption? Will there be unsafe levels of methanol in this swig to the point its not worth it or will I avoid those with the use of table sugar?

I think you'd be better off with cheap vodka or another grain alcohol. Fermenting pure sugar with Turbo Yeast is not exactly a pleasant drinking experience.

Build a still and make Rum with it. Or maybe freeze it and rack off the liquid. Cheap buzz!!

You would be better off trying an Eau de Vie. Will not be as harsh as turbo yeast.

without distilling it with a still... would we get injured or do we avoid the methanols by using just pure table sugar?

the methanols would still be present but since you are not concentrating it by distillation the concentrations are not harmful.

without distilling it with a still... would we get injured or do we avoid the methanols by using just pure table sugar?

No. Any fermentation creates methanol but fermenting plain sugar, as has already been said, is not going to produce a good tasting product. I agree with the suggestion to buy some cheap vodka.

i would just drink rubbing alcohol until you vomit, and then drink rubbing alcohol until you vomit again, then go to work on monday morning! or just make some delicious beer and then you'll have something that you'll actually enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back