Trademark? Copyright? what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strahmhv

Reaction score
Hey, i'd like to legally protect my brewery name just incase i realize my dream of opening a commercial brewery one day. Does anyone know the best way to do this? Or at least point me in the right direction?

I guess you could trademark it but unless you actively pursue it, it may not mean anything....

i.e. if you trademark it and dont actually brew commercially, and bud opens up a brand of beer with the same name... i dont think your case will hold up.... Unlike squatting on a domain name, you can't just trademark anything you want and keep it protected without pursuing it.

Hey, i'd like to legally protect my brewery name just incase i realize my dream of opening a commercial brewery one day. Does anyone know the best way to do this? Or at least point me in the right direction?
You can not reserve (limited) a trademark for future business, read how intent-to-use works.
I lost one.

http://wsd-ais-03.uspto.gov/asxgen/Newsflash1-450kb-15fps.wmv

http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/index.jsp

Edit: How long does an Intent-to-Use applicant have to allege actual use of the mark in commerce?

An applicant may file an Amendment to Allege Use any time between the filing date of the application and the date the Examining Attorney approves the mark for publication. If an Amendment to Allege Use is not filed, then applicant has six months from the issuance of the Notice of Allowance to file a Statement of Use, unless the applicant requests and is granted an extension of time. If the applicant fails to file either an Amendment to Allege Use or a Statement of Use within the time limits allowed, then the application will be declared abandoned. No registration will be granted.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Thanks for the information, i'm going to take a look at those links.

Even if you do not apply for one, a trade name is yours as long as you are using it and can prove dates and such. The problem is you can't really "use" a beer brand without distributing and such which may be illegal. Is it really likely that someone would steal your name though?

use you "brand" name to sell something other than beer (ie. something with less legal hassles) then you can trademark it as it becomes your business identity. Later you can extend your business to beer and alcoholic beverages selling under the same brand.

A brewing blog is a legitimate business (provided you sell ad space). This could be an idea. Name the blog after your brewery. I'm not a lawyer, but someone here can probably comment on whether that's and adequate solution.

To add to some of the info here......google your state's Sec of State office, then look for a business link....you can usually find business licensing/trademark info here.....good reading if nothing else.

A brewing blog is a legitimate business (provided you sell ad space). This could be an idea. Name the blog after your brewery. I'm not a lawyer, but someone here can probably comment on whether that's and adequate solution.

I'm no lawyer either, but I'm quite sure that it's important that the blog be about brewing, because IIRC, if you name your septic tank cleaning company "Brown Mound Operations" and I start a brewery two years later and call it the same thing, that's not a trademark issue because of the unrelated and noncompeting business areas.

PS: please nobody name a brewery or septic cleaning company brown mound operations.

You can reserve trade names. They are different then trademarks. I registered my brewery name in Colorado. You do not have to be actively in business to register the trade name. It only cost me like $25 through the Secretary of State website. I do plan to start using the name commercially. I am in the process of writing a business plan and getting things in order. I will probably not be doing business for at least a year. They told me reserving the trade name for later use is perfectly fine.

Back