Orchard Breezin kit/Beer bottles OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyDaze

Reaction score
So I made an orchards wine kit and just degassed and conditioned it yesterday. According to the recipe it should sit for two weeks while it clears. then to the bottle and ready to drink in a month. Well, I am new at this and was wondering what the main reason for using a wine bottle with cork versus say a 22 oz bottle and cap. Is the cork better for longer aging? Wine bottles have been surprisingly hard to come by and I dont have a corker. I also heard corks are like $1 each? Anyway, using beer bottles would really be convenient if its doesn't matter. But, for some reason I think it does. Any explanations on this is appreciated!

Also, what about carbing these types of kits and making them more like a wine cooler? My SG was 1.058 and finished at .0998. Doesn't seem very strong for a wine; thats why carbonating seems like a decent idea. Will it carbonate after all the clearers and conditioners have been added?

Just use whatever is convienient, and adaquate.

Why do you think the Southern moonshiners used Mason jars?

If you decide to carbonate, you'll have to use something besides wine bottles, whether corked or screw top. The pressure will either push the corks out, or break the bottles.

Champagne bottles with the wire-caged corks, or capped beer bottles will hold the pressure.

Pogo

As Pogo said, you can use whatever you want to bottle. Those "breezin" kits are low ABV, and meant to be drunk young so it's not like they'll be cellared for extended aging anyway. Corks aren't that expensive- certainly not $1 each!- but you definitely can bottle this in beer bottles. You can carbonate it if you'd like, the same way you do beer.

However, if you've added the F-pack (or whatever they call it in that kit), the wine will NOT carbonate. It's caused the yeast to be inhibited, so that you could sweeten the wine with that pack. To make a short explanation of this, you can make a sweet wine. You can make a carbonated wine. But it's darn near impossible to make a sweet, carbonated wine with bottling. (It works fine with kegging)

Beer bottles work just fine. I bottle most of my meads and wine in beer bottles or champagne bottles with caps. Beer caps provide a good seal that will seal for years. It is questionable whether a cap will provide a good seal for as long as a cork will but that should not be a problem for an Orchard Breezin kit.

I think the main reason people use wine bottles is the presentation. It is expected that wine is served in a wine bottle. I have started to collect some wine bottles and I plan on using Zorks to seal them. Zorks do not require a corker so I don't have to either try to work with a cheap corker or buy the expensive corker for the few bottles I plan to cork.

Craig

The most I've ever paid for corks were zork corks at $13 for 30. Regular corks are alot cheaper. I'm glad this topic came up since I was considering this myself in 12oz bottles. Whenever I open a 750ml or a 1.5litre bottle I keep going (LOL) so I was hoping I could trick myself and stop after 2-6oz glasses if I bottled them smaller, Ken

corkerft2.jpg

which one of these will work best to cork my wine bottles with?

Neither, they are crown cappers. You can put crown caps on champagne bottles. As others have said; if you have beer bottles handy, use them.

thanks fred!

obviously a noob when it comes to wine....this is a craigslist posting stating that it will cork wine bottles. Goes to show; always do diligence when dealing with folks on craigslist

Back