SWMBO says "Yes" to kegging gear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveHeff

Reaction score
Which brings me to my next excitable question: where should I go to buy a quality basic kegging kit?

I'm looking to get started with two 5 gallon kegs, CO2 cylinder, all the plumbing and the regulator. I realize that I don't need brand new kegs or CO2 cylinder, HOWEVER it's vitally important to me that I get a well made regulator.

I've researched a bit, but I'm a bit unsure of my findings. I wouldn't ask just anybody for this information. Homebrewtalk has been my go-to for this type of information.

I would love to stay under 300 for all parts, but I'm open to spending more for a decent product. Thanks in advanced to all who offer up advice.

Search on craigslist for corny kegs and a co2 cylinder. Buy a bigger than you think you need cylinder (just marginally more expensive to refill larger). Buy perlick taps. Everyone will tell you to use longer than 5 foot beer lines, so just buy it by the foot and make you own
Feel free to pm if you have questions about the different pieces

Cool SWMBO's are awesome, I'm on my 8th all grain batch and mine has been sending links for freezers to convert!

Me too. I've been brewing for over a decade at least and I'm still bottling because SWMBO won't get on board with a kegging set up.

ouch...

I did my first batch a month ago and kegged it.

Already had kegerator but the rest ran me under $150.

I kegged my first batch yesterday and when I had SWMBO try the hydrometer sample, she loved it and said "and how long does it take to be ready in the keg?" me: "a few days" "well then you need to keg all the beers, bottling sucks"(she helps bottling). It was a home brewers DREAM!!! i'm hoping come xmas time I purchase more kegs.

And I agree spend the few extra $ and get Perlicks, all my research and advice from home brew club members was buy Perlick! I already had a CO2 regulator and tank but I bought lines, disconnects, orings, etc from HomeBrewStuff.com.

Good luck!

Which brings me to my next excitable question: where should I go to buy a quality basic kegging kit?

I'm looking to get started with two 5 gallon kegs, CO2 cylinder, all the plumbing and the regulator. I realize that I don't need brand new kegs or CO2 cylinder, HOWEVER it's vitally important to me that I get a well made regulator.

I've researched a bit, but I'm a bit unsure of my findings. I wouldn't ask just anybody for this information. Homebrewtalk has been my go-to for this type of information.

I would love to stay under 300 for all parts, but I'm open to spending more for a decent product. Thanks in advanced to all who offer up advice.

Congrats SteveHeff! Lots of options here to check out at great prices: http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/keg-kits/

Thanks for checking us out! :mug:

If your not adverse to the shape (tall and skinny) I would suggest looking into 7lbs CO2 tanks. They are much cheaper then the traditional 5lbs and hold more gas.

Let me start by saying I'm by no means an expert, but I think I stumbled on a decent method:

Keep an eye on craigslist for kegerators (use all the possible variations on spelling). I found a group of college kids who were selling a 'fridge with 1 faucet, an empty bud lite keg, and an empty 20lb co2 bottle, and a regulator for $100. The fridge was a mess, but I cleaned it up and painted it with appliance epoxy and it came out looking as good as my regular fridge. I sold the empty keg for $65 (in hind sight I should have kept it for a keggle) and I turned in the 20 lb bottle for a full one at the local coca cola distributor ($25). I bought my faucets and shanks on amazon.com as well as a 4 valve distribution block/manifold. I got the lines from either amazon or my LHBS. My LHBS had kegs for $35 (used) and another $6 for o-ring kits. I put the whole thing together myself and it works like a champ.

I definitely recommend that you put something together yourself, it's much more cost effective than buying a kit. It does take a little more time, but in my opinion it's worth it.

One point about the co2 bottle: I found that it is very convenient and highly cost effective to use a 20 lb bottle and get signed up for bottle exchange with a local beverage company. It does require establishing a commercial account, but it was free and there were no questions asked regarding the actual business. I used my brother's auto repair shop as the business. I got a beautiful new bottle delivered to the shop for $25 in exchange for the empty. The LHBS charges $35 for 5 lb bottles, and the needle on mine has hardly moved in a year and a half.

100_1553.jpg

100_1556.jpg

100_1560.jpg

I have a Taprite reg and a Micromatic reg, both work fine. You are going to have to chose what stile of keg to go with, most like ball lock. My corny kegs have leaks show up from time to time on the popets (no big deal) and another one just sprung a leak in the relief valve. I've started using sanke kegs and I like how the coupler is built like a tank. I haven't had a single leak with the sanke kegs.

60sd said:
Let me start by saying I'm by no means an expert, but I think I stumbled on a decent method:

Keep an eye on craigslist for kegerators (use all the possible variations on spelling). I found a group of college kids who were selling a 'fridge with 1 faucet, an empty bud lite keg, and an empty 20lb co2 bottle, and a regulator for $100. The fridge was a mess, but I cleaned it up and painted it with appliance epoxy and it came out looking as good as my regular fridge. I sold the empty keg for $65 (in hind sight I should have kept it for a keggle) and I turned in the 20 lb bottle for a full one at the local coca cola distributor ($25). I bought my faucets and shanks on amazon.com as well as a 4 valve distribution block/manifold. I got the lines from either amazon or my LHBS. My LHBS had kegs for $35 (used) and another $6 for o-ring kits. I put the whole thing together myself and it works like a champ.

I definitely recommend that you put something together yourself, it's much more cost effective than buying a kit. It does take a little more time, but in my opinion it's worth it.

One point about the co2 bottle: I found that it is very convenient and highly cost effective to use a 20 lb bottle and get signed up for bottle exchange with a local beverage company. It does require establishing a commercial account, but it was free and there were no questions asked regarding the actual business. I used my brother's auto repair shop as the business. I got a beautiful new bottle delivered to the shop for $25 in exchange for the empty. The LHBS charges $35 for 5 lb bottles, and the needle on mine has hardly moved in a year and a half.

My dad is my go-to for any of these type projects. I sent him these pictures and told him 'I want exactly this'. Thanks for posting!
The CO2 idea is brilliant. Thanks, I've got something to research today.

We got our two keg set up with upgrades (regulator and perlicks) from bird man brewing. Seemed like the best price we could find for a double tap system. Very happy with all the parts, and the used kegs were still in good condition and everything is holding co2 like a champ!

I would recommend not buying a co2 new if you can help it. It is usually cheaper and easier to exchange and there is nothing like having to exchange a brand new tank for a old one...buy one off craigs list.

Back