Orange Peel Bitter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RotorHead6

Reaction score
I'm planning on making a Belgian Wit and the recipe calls for 0.75oz. of orange bitter.

My question is what type of orange would you buy in the store to get the bitter needed? I don't want to buy the wrong style of orange. Is it common to find bitters in LHBS? Thanks.

why not just get the bitter orange peel from any HBS under additives?
I know it is a little much, but at least you know that what you are buying is right.
I am doing the same recipe this weekend and I am looking forward to it.

When I did my Wit I used the zest of an orange. I just grabbed one I had sitting in the house and it came out great. As far as the variety of oranges, I don't know the difference between them.

I've done the above zest from a peel and I've also dried out orange peel and have had success with both. I've also used pre-packaged, dried orange and lemon peel purchased from the HBS and they also worked well.

RotorHead6 said:
I'm planning on making a Belgian Wit and the recipe calls for 0.75oz. of orange bitter.

My question is what type of orange would you buy in the store to get the bitter needed? I don't want to buy the wrong style of orange. Is it common to find bitters in LHBS? Thanks.
Any orange will do.

You can find dried orange peel (bitter or sweet) at any LHBS.

I usually always have a stock of dried peel on hand, but might try fresh next time.

What are you doing for coriander seed (typical wit additive)?

BierMuncher:

I'm actually brewing your recipe this weekend with my buddies. I plan on just picking up a package of Coriander at the LHBS. I have done two batches of the Stone clone IPA and WOW, they are both great! Thanks

Back