First batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PIRATEDOG

Reaction score
This is my first batch of cider. I made a gal. But I am worried that it is not going to turn out. I used a whole pack of yeast. It is bubbling well and the cider looks cloudy. This is day two show I pore it out and start over or let it go?

I have a gallon of juice and a gallon of cider going for almost 2 weeks and they both are still going to town (bubbling away). I added a cup of corn sugar to each and split a package of Noddigham Ale yeast.. Is 2-3 weeks fermenting about right? I plan on 2nd ferm for about 2 weeks prior to bottle. Should it clear by then?

Pirate. sounds like you are on the money... Did you add sugar (if so how much) and what yeast did u use? Mine is showing some clearing as the fermentation is slowing. I assume it continue to clear as it stops.. You should be in the same boat.

I used Hansen's natural apple 100%juice Lalvin EC-1118 yeast and I added a 1/4 cup of dark brown sugar one gal. Carboy # 6 plug and an airlock. Hope this is a good batch. Should I add more sugar?

I used Hansen's natural apple 100%juice Lalvin EC-1118 yeast and I added a 1/4 cup of dark brown sugar one gal. Carboy # 6 plug and an airlock. Hope this is a good batch. Should I add more sugar?

I wouldn't. Test batches are test batches only if you control the variables. See how this comes out, then change the Next batch if you want more or less of something. :)

It is looking great and popping the air lock well. This Pirate is looking forward to sampling this cider when she is ready! Ye all send your recipes my way so I can try my hand at them savvy!

That'll be a nice cider. I don't have a one gallon recipe on hand but here's what I've been twerkin with. prolly a Apfelwine but what's in name......

As American as Apple Pie

6 gallons AJ
12 Fl oz molasses
8 Lbs cane sugar ( stagger half)
1/2 lb malto dextrin ( it was left over from the stout on accident)
3 sticks cinnamon
4 toasted oak staves
Half cup of raisins
1 tbls yeast nutrient
1 tbls acid blend

Montrachet yeast

Ey that be sounding pretty good! Going to try my hand at brewing beer when ye ole pirate can come up with some gold to buy the master kit. If any of you other scallywags have any awesome cider recipes please send them this pirates way savvy!

Pirate Dog here this is an awesome site. I just check on my ider and it is sill bubbling and the air lock it popping. It is still cloudy but that should start to clear off soon I hope. Ey!! ye ole yeast are hungry little critters! Still looking for y ole land lovers to send me some awesome cider recipes savvy! Please help out this ole Pirate Dog also could use a good ole recipe for some dark pirate beer I love Genus but want to make some! Gotta get be some gold rounded up fast so I can get that ole master beer brewing kit! Can ye all help out this ole Pirate with some awesome recipes savvy!
You all are awesome!!!!!!!!!

PirateDog here it is Saturday and the cider is still doing it's thing looking great I am looking forward to racking it in a week and a half or so. Ye all have a great day! Send me those cider recipes!

PirateDog here it is late Saturday night and the cider has stopped bubbling and the air lock is not popping and the cloudy ness is going away it this normal? This is day 4 is it ready to rack or do I let it set for another week?

PirateDog here it is late Saturday night and the cider has stopped bubbling and the air lock is not popping and the cloudy ness is going away it this normal? This is day 4 is it ready to rack or do I let it set for another week?

I would let it settle and meld. Let the yeast clean up the 'mess' they just made, and rack when you have a gravity lower than 1.000.

Also, check out this recepie from my LHBS:
http://brew-wine.com/blog/2012/11/18/hard-cider-a-great-brew-for-the-season/

PirateDog here it is Saturday and the cider is still doing it's thing looking great I am looking forward to racking it in a week and a half or so. Ye all have a great day! Send me those cider recipes!

I can't help but wonder are you going for lower abv or higher...are you shooting for sparkling or still...are you looking for moderate aging 1-3 months or some thing good in a couple weeks?

Sounds good...try this out...

Hansen's apple juice 1/2 gallon
1/2 gallon peach mango
1/2 cup light brown sugar
Splash vanilla
Nutrient. 1/2
D-47

Mix ingredients together pitch let go 5 day add other half of nutrient .let go 4 more days. Sg 1.06-1.065. Ft 1.015-1.02....cold crash 7 days rack, bottle, and pasteurized

Ill make a coupple gallons of that at a time its always gone in one BBQ.....BTW. my ferment temps are around 58...slow cool ferments make good cinders

This PirateDog is in Arizona and my cider is under the pool table in the game room it stays around 70 this time of year. Maybe I should put the cider in the garage for now much cooler high 50's but that will be changing in a month or so the game room is probley best.

Back