Trader Joe's Pumpkin Butter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just heard a commercial for Trader Joe's Pumpkin "Butter" (No butter/fat in it) and thought it might be interesting to use in a pumpkin beer.

Pumpkin+Butter+front.jpg

img_2497.jpg

Evidently it has no artificial ingredients or preservatives and is made up of only Pumpkin,sugar, honey,lemon juice concentrate,spices.

The commercial says it is intensely flavored.

I don't know if it's usable or not....It may be too pectiny to work, but we add pumpkin goop in our beers all the time. Sticking it in the mash tun is always a viable alternative, because the grain often absorbs and filters out stuff.

I wonder about using it somehow to prime with. But that might be too cloudy.

The biggest thing is the cost...It's like 3 bucks for a 10 ounce jar.

It may be interesting to use that much in a 1 gallon batch of a pumpkin ale to see.

Any thoughts?

How does it taste?
It's sounds good for a spread on toast or muffins...
Igotsand

I've never had that but it reminds me of the apple butter my grandmother used to make that's a similar recipe but obviously with apple instead of pumpkin. Spectacularly delicious but a lot of the flavor and aroma I could see getting destroyed by the boil, like boiling honey. I don't know how much of the flavor would carry through. I also don't know how much of the flavor would come across since the honey is going to ferment out. Might be cheaper to just use spices and canned pumpkin and end up with the same effect.

I just heard about it today...I don't know how it tastes.

What I'm curious about Reverseapache, is how strong the flavor is. The commercial (whether true or not) is talks about how intense it is. I'm wondering if it's like making a reduction in cooking, that by reducing it down so much is it stronger tasting then anything we can easily do...i.e. Is once 10 ounce the result of let's say 5 pumpkins and corresponding spices reduce, over 1 can of pumpkin and spice like we normally use. If that makes sense. If it's super concentrated, it might be worth it...but who knows without tasting it.

That is how they make apple butter Rev. Big cauldron and an all day affair. Used to live down from a cider mill, and once a year they made a huge batch of apple butter.
I would think you'd get better mileage from secondary addition, over throwing in the boil. I'd guess unofficially that that one jar is AT LEAST one big can of pumpkin. If not two.

disclaimer; I have not stayed at a Holiday Inn in the recent past.

Back