Is it ok to brew beer if I don't have a beard ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I got out of the Navy in 93, I've had a goatee or beard pretty much the entire time. I think the one time I shaved it all was the same time I had a batch of Belgian ale go really south. That was my only bad batch of beer. That was back in 03. hmmm

Well busted up my knee and outta work for a bit and brewed the other day with a little more than a 5 o'clock shadow.. Must say I think you guys are on to something.......

I'm surprised none of our military brewers have spoken up. Being in the Army, I'm not allowed to grow a beard and my beers turn out fine. If I was allowed, though, I would totally grow one.

I always find it interesting seeing retired military people. Half of them seem to instantly grow a beard and the other half stick to their habits and are prim and proper.

Strangely, since I shaved a few months ago, my beers have gotten better. This keeps me awake at night, pondering....

I brewed a big, hairy, Russian Imperial Stout once and the judges dinged me on the hair. I was disappointed with the score because I really put a lot into it and I have only one chest hair remaining.......

I'm surprised none of our military brewers have spoken up. Being in the Army, I'm not allowed to grow a beard and my beers turn out fine. If I was allowed, though, I would totally grow one.

Service members are granted an exemption by the Beer Gods. It's the least they can do!

1332637223488_9602721.png

borden said:
Service members are granted an exemption by the Beer Gods. It's the least they can do!

Do firefighters and police fall in this category too? I would to have to think I have to wait another 20 years to brew a good beer!!

Do firefighters and police fall in this category too? I would to have to think I have to wait another 20 years to brew a good beer!!

Retired volunteer firefighter here who brewed with a clean shaven face for 13 years. Grew a goatee soon after we moved to the big city and found out that they don't need volunteers around here. The beer was good before but I think it's a bit better now. Facial hair does seem to help.

mtnbrewer said:
Retired volunteer firefighter here who brewed with a clean shaven face for 13 years. Grew a goatee soon after we moved to the big city and found out that they don't need volunteers around here. The beer was good before but I think it's a bit better now. Facial hair does seem to help.

Guess I'll just have to settle for subpar beer for at least another 8-12 years!

alane1 said:
I think this is why public safety officials prefer the tom seleck mustache.

True, but the wifey hates mustaches. She likes the bald head and goatee look, one of these days. Maybe bald head sooner than later wether I want it or not!! :)

spacecowboy13 said:
Hallelujah! But you better believe that I'm growing one as soon as I get out!

I did when I got out 4 years ago. I brewed my first batch on active duty and it was ok. I brew again once I was a silly villian and grew a rockin beard and my beer is awesome. Ymmv

I usually have some type of beard in the cooler months, and am clean shaven in the summer.
This is on schedule with my most productive brewing....hmmmm.

Mule here ... Starter of this thread.... and Proud Police Officer Brewer...... clean shaven for work..... but my beard grows fast so I am at 9 o'clock shadow by brew time........

It is definitely a curse- my brother in law is a professional golfer, but the country club for which he works requires a clean shave. Truly tragedy when he is a manly, burly, facial-hairy gentleman but a round, roly-poly unathletic fatman like myself can't summon but the patchiest of neckbeards. I can hardly call myself a brewer and I am truly ashamed.

Mr. mthompson- I hope your child is a healthy one. Many cheers to you, your wife, son, and family!

NO! to get the Beard Taste in your brew... brush your hair over the Wort....

For something stronger... brush your dogs or goats hair over the wort.

Cat hair is a no-no as the cat saliva interferes with the hop isomerization.

Silly Question----> Silly Answer

Happy Brewing

... just found a stray chest hair stuck to the inside of the lid on my fermenter full of Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale.

How can you be so sure its "chest" hair??

I don't know for sure, of course, but judging by my generous crop of chest hair and my usual half-buttoned-up shirts I made an educated guess. There is a slight possibility of another source, but I choose to believe this version.

grimstuff said:
I don't know for sure, of course, but judging by my generous crop of chest hair and my usual half-buttoned-up shirts I made an educated guess. There is a slight possibility of another source, but I choose to believe this version.

BUTT, how can you be sure?!

Stretch1991 said:
Beards do not make they homebrew

Homebrew makes the beard my friend

"If you brew it, it will grow"

+1 to this. I didn't have a beard until I started brewing. It almost feels like a natural part of growing into the hobby.

hey, all you pushies get back to work and quit looking at each others junk. like a g'dam :fro: pride parade in here!
:cross:

I always find it interesting seeing retired military people. Half of them seem to instantly grow a beard and the other half stick to their habits and are prim and proper.

First thing I did when I got out of the Navy was start my beard and put my earring back in.

Back