tired of hop socks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltbarleyhops

Reaction score
ive used these for a long time and im sick of them. im looking to construct some contaniers to hold my hops in the kettle. sort of "hop bombs".

stainless would be good, thought of modding a few dredges, but im thinking some kind of PVC. tube with holes drilled as well as caps on each end.

But what PVC could you leave in the boil?

You could put a valve on your BK and then use some kind of screen to filter out the hops post boil. Then you can just throw the hops in loose during the boil. I use a sanitized paint strainer and pour my chilled Wort through it into the fermenter, then pull the paint strainer out and let it drain.

Don't do PVC, guaranteed to melt.

But what PVC could you leave in the boil?

i'd be leery of anything with the letters PV and C directly touching my boiling wort...

I use a variation of This The only difference is I boil in a converted keg, so my carrige bolts and reducer are bigger and I use a 5 gallon paint strainer.
Using it is one of the best things I've done .
Do a search for hop spider and you'll get alot of ideas.

I use this. It is based off of the tutorial Bobby has on his youtube site. It works pretty well for me. I had to drill some additional holes on the end of the pick up tube. Pretty cheap for the parts. Plus, I have the satisfaction of building it myself.

Cheers!

hopscreen.jpg

Latest posts

Back