Brew Science Plus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChemEMc

Reaction score
Ok, so I've graduated with a degree in chemical engineering, and I'm just finishing my first semester of a PhD program in chemical and life science engineering. I'm also putting the finishing touches on an electric keggle system. And now i want more!

Specifically i want to go about brewing a bit more scientifically then your average brewer. I have aims toward quality control and consistency of flavor as well as evaluation of new ingredients, and a large desire to start experimenting with yeast (in petri dishes, like new strain development/isolation). The lab shots during Brew Masters have me twitching to know more about the lab work involved in Beer R&D. So, the question...

Where can i find more info on brewing laboratory procedures? what they do, how they do it, etc. How about texts on yeast and this type of quality control/flavor evaluation? Not sure i have a specific goal, more like looking for inspiration :)

Join the ASBC and start reading the articles in the Journal. This will give you an idea about the kinds of things people are working on and the sort of equipment they are using. There is a break on dues for students.

These are exactly the sort of thing i didn't know i was looking for! Thanks

Back