I think of messed up on force carb? help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamby

Reaction score
I'm knew to kegging and just messed up bid time I think. I force carb at 12psi for 10 days in the fridge at 40 degrees and now all I have is foam. I did not realize that you should let them set and forget at room temp. Is there a fix for this?
Thanks

40 degrees
6 feet of 3/16 hose.

Scott

Actually, you did it the right way. You want to set and forget at serving temps, at serving psi for a few weeks, ideally.

The hose length doesn't seem too far off, either. Here's a handy calculator if you haven't downloaded it already: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/attach...ator-beer-line-length-pressure-calculator.zip

But basically, at 40 degrees and 12 psi, it seems like you're right in the ballpark with a 6 foot line. Are you sure you didn't set the pressure higher initially for a few days and then just dialed back the regulator to 12? To make sure you're really at 12 psi you may want to try purging the gas from the keg and then hooking it back up at 12 and try serving again.

Also, I know this may sound silly, but are you sure the gas and liquid are connected to the right posts? We had someone on here just a few weeks ago who tried everything and could get nothing but foam but realized the connections were reversed. Even if the hoses look to be correct, check to make sure the post with the dip tube is really where your beer line is connected, even if it's on the 'out' side of the keg.

Anyway, it doesn't look like you've done anything wrong, so those are a few things to check first.

I'm knew to kegging and just messed up bid time I think. I force carb at 12psi for 10 days in the fridge at 40 degrees and now all I have is foam. I did not realize that you should let them set and forget at room temp. Is there a fix for this?
Thanks

40 degrees
6 feet of 3/16 hose.

Scott

That seems about right- my kegerator is at 39 degrees and 12 psi. At room temperature, you'd need about 30 psi for the same carb level. With 6 feet of line, you should have only a little foam. Is it foamy on the first pour, or on all pours? Is the line warm, or in the kegerator with the kegs?

It's foamy on all pours, then once it settles down in a glass the beer has good flavor but flat. Could I have over carb it, and if so do I just take it off pressure for about a day to resolve.

I checked the hose and they are correct.

I also purged the tank several times.

Thank for the post.

Hmmm. It's almost impossible to believe the beer is overcarbed. Not with those temperatures and psi.

Try this- purge the tank, and reset at 5 psi and pour. See how the carb level is then. If the carb level is ok, that means you need longer lines. If it's still way carbed, then you can take it off the gas for a day or two, and keep purging the headspace.

Are you 100% sure your regulator is accurate? Is it new, or an old one?

The only way you could have overcarbed if the beer was sitting at something more than 12 psi for any extended period of time. Like Yoop, I have three regulators maintaining six kegs, all set between 10-15 psi and with 6-7 foot lines and have never seen a problem with too much carbonation.

Is this the first beer you've kegged, or have you done others without similar problems? Also, what size beer line are you using, and what kind of taps?

One last question- where are the lines? If they are in a tower, they may not be cold. That is the biggest issue in my opinion. Warm beer lines will cause foaming, no matter what the carb level is in the beer.

I have a tower, but you can see the foam in the lines from the keg. My beer lines are 3/16 and I'm assuming my regulator is good. I used it for domestic kegs before kegging my one. This is my seconded attemp to keg. The first one was a bust also. At first everything was good, but I had the temp to low on the fridge and the beer inside the keg froze. After that it turned flat and I'm trying to recarb it now, but not much luck. I'm kinda at a loss. Thanks again

Stupid question, but where is the o ring on the dip tube? The don't think the beer is over carb, but I still can't understand why it's all foam..

12 psi and 40 degrees did not over carb your beer.

You may not have the right poppets in your beer out post. With these old cornys parts have been replaced most likely many times. I have one keg that has a mismatched poppet and all is good if I'm careful to use that poppet on the gas in post. If it is on the beer out post, foam city.

Can you visible see the difference in the poppets? I know I've got the lines hooked up right, but this is a new keg and I have never used it before so it could be wrong.

Can you visible see the difference in the poppets? I know I've got the lines hooked up right, but this is a new keg and I have never used it before so it could be wrong.

By new you mean new to you right? Hopefully someone will be able to post a link to the different poppet types, basically it is a mix-n-match world out there for corney kegs so I can be difficult to nail down if you have the right poppets or not. One other thing you mentioned that there is foam in the beer line when it comes out of the keg, there was a thread a month or so back where the OP found that his QD was not molded right at the factory and was resulting in foamy beer no matter what he did, Try taking your liquid QD apart and check that it doesn't look all messed up.

Sorry, it is new to me. I got it of ebay.
I've got anothe keg here that works, I may just try and change poppets and see where that goes.
Thanks again for all the help..

Disconnect the co2, pull the relief and you can swap the beer out post with the other keg to see if that helps. That's how I found my oddball poppet.

Back