Good kit for a Bitter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko73

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking for a good ingredient kit to make a Bitter. Has anyone done this? Any favorites?

I'm bottleing my American Special Bitter tomorrow. I'm not sure how it will turn out though. I was given a Brewer's Best American Light kit. I added three more pounds of light dry extract, 1 oz. of East Kent Goldings, and a packet of Nottingham dry yeast instead of the kit yeast.

Then I used all of the American Saaz in the kit as the bittering and the East Kent Goldings as the aroma.

Here is another quick Bitter recipe as well, from Papa Papazian.

Palace Bitter:

4 1/2 lbs. English light dried malt extract
12 oz. crystal malt
1/2 oz English Fuggles (boiling)
3/4 oz Ket Goldings hops (boiling)
1/4 oz English Fuggles (Flavor)
3/4 oz Kent Goldings (Flavor)
1/2 oz Kent goldings (Aroma)
1 package of English style ale yeast

O.G. 1.040-1.044
F.G. 1.008-1.012
26 IBU
13 SRM

Crush crystal malts and add to 1 1/2 gallons of water. let steep at 150-160 for 30 minutes. remove grains add malt and bring to a boil. Add boiling hops. at 30 minutes add 1/4 oz of the Fuggles and the Kents. at 45 minutes add the rest of the Kent. at 2 min left on the boil add the aroma hops. Cool and add water to 5 gallons. Pitch yeast and wait for the magic. add 3/4 cup corn sugar or 1 1/4 cup dried malt extract to bottleing bucket after boiling with a little water. bottle. wait for the carbonation to build. Pop one open and as the inventor of this particular recipe says. "Relax, Don't worry, have a homebrew."

This kit turned out nicely for me. I've also had good luck with a few other kits from them, too. You can get all their kits in extract, PM, and AG versions, depending on how you are brewing.

Here is an ordinary bitter that I really like...

3 Lbs. Light Dried Malt Extract
2 1/2 lbs. Maris otter malt
1/2 lb Crystal 40L Malt
Hops 1 oz. u.k fuggle bittering
1 oz. u.k fuggle flavor
3/4 cup priming sugar
1 White Labs Ale yeast

I quoted the directions from the above recipe as they are the same just switch the hop variety, or use the hops he used it's all good.

Aclay said:
Crush crystal malts and add to 1 1/2 gallons of water. let steep at 150-160 for 30 minutes. remove grains add malt and bring to a boil. Add boiling hops. at 30 minutes add 1/4 oz of the Fuggles and the Kents. at 45 minutes add the rest of the Kent. at 2 min left on the boil add the aroma hops. Cool and add water to 5 gallons. Pitch yeast and wait for the magic. add 3/4 cup corn sugar or 1 1/4 cup dried malt extract to bottleing bucket after boiling with a little water. bottle. wait for the carbonation to build. Pop one open and as the inventor of this particular recipe says. "Relax, Don't worry, have a homebrew."

Back